Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] ST60+
06-25-19, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-19 09:43 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] ST60+
How would I go about connecting a st60+ rudder display and Rotary Rudder Reference Sensor Rudder Feedback M81105 to my (new) EV100 AP?

Thanks,

Bub
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-19, 09:56 AM
RE: [DG11] ST60+
Hi Bub,

Thankyou for your enquiry.

The ST60+ rudder angle display is not compatible with the Evolution autopilot and so should not be connected. The Rudder reference unit, M81105 can be connected to the RUDDER terminals on the ACU of the Evolution autopilot.

Regards

Derek
06-26-19, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-19 04:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So thanks for getting bake to me but, I must ask I did some additional research on this topic and I found another answer by one of your moderators back in May of 2018 and someone else asked a similar question and here is his response:
"
ST60/ST60+ use Seatalk1, not SeatalkNG. You need a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG convertor (part E22158 for a kit, R52131 for the bare convertor only, see http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=400...7&col=1597 for details). The ST1-STNG convertor becomes part of the STNG backbone (connected in via a backbone cable), whilst you connect the supplied ST1 cable to any free ST1 port in the existing ST60 system.

You need a single power supply to the combined ST1-STNG network: the convertor passes this power through. You will already have power on ST1, so don't also supply power on the STNG side (do not connect the STNG red cable.) The ACU100 will require its own power as it draws too much to be powered from STNG, but it won't pass that power through to STNG (larger ACUs can, the ACU100 won't.)

Regards,
Tom"

is this not accurate?

Thanks again, bub
06-27-19, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-19 09:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
You say It can't be used with the st60+ but according to one your other admins that responded to a question similar to mine is that it could work? I'm confused. Here is the response from the other admins answer :

Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Offline
Administrator
RE: [TG11] Installation of EV 100 with older ST60+ depth and speed instruments
Hello choroj,

I can't comment on specific drawings in the installation manual because I think I'm looking at a different issue of the manual - the document 87180-4 that I'm looking at has no drawing on p18. However:

ST60/ST60+ use Seatalk1, not SeatalkNG. You need a Seatalk1-SeatalkNG convertor (part E22158 for a kit, R52131 for the bare convertor only, see http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=400...7&col=1597 for details). The ST1-STNG convertor becomes part of the STNG backbone (connected in via a backbone cable), whilst you connect the supplied ST1 cable to any free ST1 port in the existing ST60 system.

You need a single power supply to the combined ST1-STNG network: the convertor passes this power through. You will already have power on ST1, so don't also supply power on the STNG side (do not connect the STNG red cable.) The ACU100 will require its own power as it draws too much to be powered from STNG, but it won't pass that power through to STNG (larger ACUs can, the ACU100 won't.)

Regards,
Tom
06-27-19, 10:30 AM
Dear brooksnajr@yahoo.com,

Thank you for your post. The post you refer to is correct in the case of ST60/ST60+ instruments.

The rudder reference display requires the rudder reference transducer to be connected directly to the back of the display, the rudder data will not be repeated over the network and will not be picked up by the EV1. You can have the rudder reference display as a standalone unit.

The other option is to have the rudder reference transducer connected directly to the autopilot, this would be preferable as the autopilot functions better with this sensor connected. Once again this data would not be sent over the network to the rudder reference display, it cannot be used as a repeater display.

Many Thanks
Louise
04-07-20, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-20 10:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Just an update of this question. I recently added the Seatalk converter to the system to connect my st60+ rudder display to my setup. It works the way it was explained in another thread that was started. I've enclosed a video of both display working properly when I manually turn the rudder transducer in both directions. The rudder transducer is connected to the acu.
04-15-20, 04:55 AM
HI brooksnajr
Thankyou for your feedback, it is always useful to receive updates from the field, since our current technical advice indicates that this type of connection will not operate correctly.

I assume that you have connected the rudder reference unit to the ACU and the ST60 display is connected as a repeater through the converter?

It does not look like the ST60 display is displaying an accurate rudder angle?

We will update our guidelines on this subject

Regards
Derek
04-15-20, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-20 08:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Correct - ACU and the ST60 display is connected as a repeater through the converter.
As for as I can tell both the ST60 and the P70 Are accurately reading the correct rudder angles. Once I have more time out on open waters I'll report back on or if I have problems I'll let you know. The video I sent was in a mock setup before the unit was installed on the boat. I was holding and turning the rudder reference by hand.
Thanks Norm
04-16-20, 05:29 AM
Hi brooksnajr

OK, thanks for the feedback,
kind regards

Derek