Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] New wind instrument needle dim
06-26-19, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-19 09:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] New wind instrument needle dim
Hi,

I have recently upgraded my boat to a full SeatalkNG set-up (including a complete new wind i60 instrument, anemometer and 100 ft wiring down the mast). I have the wind instrument and 4 i70s displays and it's really working well.

My issue is the new wind instrument. It's great in the day but at night the needle is barely visible. I enclose a photo. This was taken when there was still some sun out, but in darkness it's a problem. I can barely see the wind direction.

So, is there something wrong with this, or it is how all of them are?

Phil
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-19, 09:50 AM
RE: [CA11] New wind instrument needle dim
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Phil,

The illumination of you i60 Wind instrument's needle appears to be identical to that of all of the units here within our office and would appear to we working as designed. While the wind needle's lower half is illuminated, the illumination does not extend throughout the entire length of the wind arrow. While we don't receive many complaints concerning the illumination of the i60 Wind instrument's needle, I will log a request to consider a change to its design. As your system additionally includes i70 MFIDs, I would recommend displaying wind data on one of these MFIDs when operating under conditions when the i60 Wind instrument's needle cannot be clearly seen. Alternatively, you may want to consider contacting your Raymarine dealer to indicate that you are dissatisfied with the illumination of the i60 Wind instrument's needle to determine whether it may be returned to your Dealer and then replaced with another i70S MFID and an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter.

Please click here more information concerning product and feature suggestions.
08-06-19, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-19 07:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply.

Since I wrote the original message, I crewed on a friends boat who has the exact same instrument, but she got it 4 years ago. It looks exactly the same as mine, with the needle illuminated only partially. So it appears to be working as designed.

Normally I put the apparent wind on the i60 and show the true wind next to it on one of the i70s'. We used this for a recent overnight race. My crew, however, could not see the apparent wind very well (my instruments are perhaps 15' from the wheel) and actually requested that I switch the true and apparent displays at night. Curiously, the display on the i70s has a needle that is illuminated along its full length.

So we will do the best that we can with this set up, and I would encourage your design team to consider improving the illumination of the needle at night.

Phil
08-07-19, 07:54 AM
Phil,

Thanks for the product feedback. This recommendation will be forwarded to the instrument team for consideration to be included within an design update to the i60 Wind instrument as well as future analog wind instrument designs.

Please click here more information concerning product and feature suggestions.