Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] I50 Speed Issues
06-27-19, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-19 12:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] I50 Speed Issues
I recently developed an issue with my i50 speed display. The display reads --- instead of any digits. When I turn off the breaker and leave it off for about an hour, I get a digital readout for about 30 seconds and then the display reverts to ---.

I have checked all connections. I have connected a spare transducer and have the same issue.

I am thinking it is a ground loop issue, but I don't know how to check or resolve the issue, since the issue temporarily resolves after power down.

The instruments are power thru a Seatalk ng power cord.

I also have the i50 depth, i60 wind and i70s autopilot connected through Sealtalk ng and they are all working fine. Also connected is an sS78. The speedometer reads the SOG with no issue.

Kyle T. Kievit
Legal Holiday II
Catalina 320 #525
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-19, 12:13 PM
RE: [CA11] I50 Speed Issues
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Ktklaw,

What model of speed/temp transducer(s) has been installed onboard? Has this transducer been directly interfaced to the i50 instrument's transducer terminals or has it been interfaced to an iTC-5? Has the Data Source's feature of the i70S been used to specify the Speed source for the system?
06-27-19, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-19 02:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have an ST800-P120 transducer that is wired to the i50.

When I select data source on my eS78, nothing comes up on speed trough water.

Kyle T. Kievit
Legal Holiday II
Catalina 320 #525
06-27-19, 02:44 PM
Ktklaw,

Please attach a diagram of this system identifying each product and how it has been interfaced to the system. When the Product Info diagnostics feature (HOME->SETTINGS->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->PRODUCT INFO) is executed, is the i50 Speed listed?
06-27-19, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-19 11:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Attached is a diagram and the Diagnostics file.

The i50 speed is listed.

Attached File(s)
.json  Diagnostics_.json (Size: 4.67 KB / Downloads: 196)
.pdf  Raymarine Diagram.pdf (Size: 53.28 KB / Downloads: 273)

Kyle T. Kievit
Legal Holiday II
Catalina 320 #525
07-01-19, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-19 12:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ktklaw,

Your diagram showed no interfaced NMEA 0183 devices ... is this the case? The only issue which I have found with your installation is with its use of daisy chained instruments. Originally SeaTalkng communications supported such daisy chains. However, no more than three devices should have been included within any such daisy chain. Accordingly and if desiring to use daisy chains, it is recommended that the SeaTalkng backbone be extended to the location of these instruments, that a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector be installed at that location, that the daisy chain be divided into two daisy chains, and that each daisy chain be connected to a spur socket of the aforementioned SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.

It is considered to be a best installation practice that SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices not be interfaced via daisy chains. Instead, each device should be interfaced as an individual spur to the backbone. To this end, Raymarine's latest autopilot control head and i70S Multifunction Instrument Displays (MFIDs) feature a single SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 socket. If adhering to this practice, it is recommended that the SeaTalkng backbone be extended to the location of these instruments, that a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector and SeaTalkng T-Piece be installed at that location, that each instrument be connected to a spur socket of the aforementioned SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector or T-Piece.

Should the problem persist when installed in the manner specified in either of the above listed networking descriptions, then it would be recommended that the i50 Speed be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
07-01-19, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-19 12:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks. I did try removing the other instruments. That did not correct issue. Everything worked up until 2 weeks ago. I’ll send in the i50 for bench check.

Kyle T. Kievit
Legal Holiday II
Catalina 320 #525
07-01-19, 12:17 PM
You're welcome.