Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Can I upgrade a Type 1 linear drive motor?
07-02-19, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-19 10:48 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Can I upgrade a Type 1 linear drive motor?
Hello,

Looked but could not find this question previously addressed. I bought a boat that came with an older Raymarine Type 1 linear mechanical drive connected to another brand computer. The boat displacement is just over the max rating for the Type 1 so I purchased a new Type 2 short as a backup. Good thing as the old drive died after 24 hours under sail on a recent trip. Installed the new Type 2 and all is good but I have the old unit I would like to repair and keep as a spare.

The question, can I install the higher power Type 2 motor in the old Type 1 drive or are there other differences that would prevent this or other components in the drive train that would also need to be upgraded? Note the computer has more that enough output to drive a Type 2.

I might mention that I have previously disassembled the old Type 1 to replace the bearings that had gotten wet and rusted shut by the previous owner so feel pretty comfortable getting inside the unit. I'm guessing the previous wetting contributed to the final demise of the motor.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-19, 11:00 AM
RE: [DG11] Can I upgrade a Type 1 linear drive motor?
Hi Skipmac

Thankyou for your enquiry.

The T1 linear drive that you have can be modified into a type 2 by fitting the more powerful Type 2 motor into it. the rest of the mechanicals are the same - assuming that the drives are of the same era, very early style drives were quite different internally.

While you are inside the unit, would be worth your while replacing the epicyclic gears, the clutch, the thrust bearing and the drive belt, don't be tempted to open the leadscrew, since any contamination in the recirculating ball leadscrew will trigger rough operation and possible damage leading to breakdown.

regards

Derek
07-04-19, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-19 11:32 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Derek,

The boat was built 1984 and I think the AP was added in the mid/late 80s. Based on the manuals and the original Raymarine computer and controllers I feel pretty certain of the date. But is there any way (SN or some markings or pulling the dead motor?) that I can confirm whether or not a new Type 2 motor will fit?

Good suggestions on replacing the other drive parts and thanks for the caution on not tinkering with the leadscrew. I'll check the guts closely but the previous owner used the boat little and that was 99% day sailing around LI Sound so I'm guessing the gears, clutches and such are like new. I'm pretty sure the motor died due to a previous wetting and not due to overuse and wear. A new belt and a spare I think is always a good plan.

Regards
Skiop
07-05-19, 11:35 AM
Hi Skiop,

If the drive dates back to the mid 80s, then the current spares will not fit, the current spares will fit a drive with a plastic tapered dust cover over the drive motor - the older drive used a squarish shaped, alloy cast dust cover, also the current drives use a sliding clutch coil assembly, the older drives used slip rings and bushes to operate the clutch. If you had a picture I can tell you straight away which version it is.

Kind regards
Derek
07-05-19, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-19 09:53 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek,

Attaching photos of both drives, the broken Type 1 sitting on the table and the newly installed Type 2.

Didn't start taking the T1 apart but the cover over the motor is flexible and does seem to be plastic so this is a newer version that new parts will fit?

The T2 is under a bunk and didn't have time to take the cabin apart to reach it so stuck my arm as far as it would reach with the cell phone camera. Can you tell from that angle if that is also a new version? It was old stock new in a box so not certain of the age.

Thanks
Skip

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-09-19, 09:54 AM
Hi Skip,

Thanks for the pictures, these are both the current version of the drive and the older drive can be serviced with current parts.
Regards
Derek