Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] Connecting NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk
07-02-19, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-19 03:04 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] Connecting NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk
I have a Garmin 541s connected to Raymarine P70 autopilot, using the SeaTalk NMEA 2000 cables and a T-connector. I want to connect my vhf Standrd Horizon GX1265S to this to provide gps data with the vhf DSC. But the VHF is NMEA 0183. There is a cable coming out the back of the VHF with a 8 pin connector. (also have a 8pin connector that can connect to it with 4 wires at the end (made for Loran NMEA 0183)
Is there a cable for this? or some manual way to connect using the standard cable
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-19, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-19 10:55 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [LW11] Connecting NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk
Dear sailingdeacon,

Thank you for your post.

Are you trying to connect Standard Horizon VHF to the backbone to provide GPS data across the network? IS it a STng NMEA2000 backbone you have or just a NMEA2000 with devicenet connectors?

How is the chartplotter connected to the pilot?

I have seen the Garmin 541 has an internal GPS, are you not using this as a GPS source?

I cannot advise on the connectors of third party products, however if you are looking to get GPS data on your network from the VHF I suggest connecting the VHF to the chartplotter via NMEA0183 (if this is a function).

Many Thanks
Louise
07-04-19, 11:50 AM
(07-04-19 10:42 AM)Louise - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Dear sailingdeacon,

Thank you for your post.

Are you trying to connect Standard Horizon VHF to the backbone to provide GPS data across the network? IS it a STng NMEA2000 backbone you have or just a NMEA2000 with devicenet connectors?

How is the chartplotter connected to the pilot?

I have seen the Garmin 541 has an internal GPS, are you not using this as a GPS source?

I cannot advise on the connectors of third party products, however if you are looking to get GPS data on your network from the VHF I suggest connecting the VHF to the chartplotter via NMEA0183 (if this is a function).

Many Thanks
Louise
07-04-19, 12:28 PM
SEE MY RESPONSES BELOW IN CAPS (SAILINGDEACON). I am simply trying to provide the gps coordinates TO the vhf when I do a VHF DSC emergency call to the coast guard. MY RESEARCH TELLS ME ALL I NEED IS A RAYCOM Seatalk Ng To Nmea0183 Adaptor a06071.

(07-04-19 10:42 AM)Louise - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Dear sailingdeacon,

Thank you for your post.

SEE MY RESPONSES BELOW IN CAPS (SAILINGDEACON). I am simply trying to provide the gps coordinates TO the vhf when I do a VHF DSC emergency call to the coast guard. MY RESEARCH TELLS ME ALL I NEED IS A RAYCOM Seatalk Ng To Nmea0183 Adaptor a06071.

Are you trying to connect Standard Horizon VHF to the backbone to provide GPS data across the network? NOT EXACTLY, AM TRYING TO PROVIDE GPS DATA TO THE VHF.
IS it a STng NMEA2000 backbone you have or just a NMEA2000 with devicenet connectors? i THINK IT IS A BACKBONE: I HAVE A RAYMARINE P70 THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE GARMIN 541S GPS (WHICH IS NMEA2000) VIA A RAYMARINE T CONNECTOR USING RAYMARINE CABLES. THIS IS THEN CONNECTED TO A RAYMARINE A06064 WITH ONE OF ITS 5 PORTS AVAILABLE - HOPEFULLY FOR USE TO THE VHG.

How is the chartplotter connected to the pilot? THIS IS THE GARMIN GPS, NOT SOMETHING ADDITIONAL.

YES THE GARMIN 541S IS THE GPS SOURCE AND IT IS nmea2000

I AM LOOKING TO PROVIDE THE COORDINATES TO THE VHF FROM THE GPS - NOT THE REVERSE.

MY RESEARCH TELLS ME ALL I NEED IS A RAYCOM Seatalk Ng To Nmea0183 Adaptor PART A06071. PLUG ONE END TO THE AVAILABLE PORT OF THE 5 PORT CONNECTOR AND CONNECT THE OTHER END USING THE TWO WIRES OF IT TO THE TWO COLORED WIRES COMING FROM THE VHF NMEA0183
I DO NOT NEED THE POWER CONNECTIONS

Many Thanks
Louise
07-05-19, 07:07 AM
Dear Sailingdeacon,

Thank you for the reply.

I think the confusion is from the initial post. Your post stated 'I want to connect my vhf Standrd Horizon GX1265S to this to provide gps data with the vhf DSC', I read this as wanting to provide GPS with the VHF.

You are correct, you can use our STng to NMEA0183 convertor to send GPS data to your VHF via NMEA0183. The part number is E70196 and can be ordered via your local dealer.

Many Thanks
Louise
07-05-19, 09:21 AM
(07-05-19 07:07 AM)Louise - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Dear Sailingdeacon,

Thank you for the reply.

I think the confusion is from the initial post. Your post stated 'I want to connect my vhf Standrd Horizon GX1265S to this to provide gps data with the vhf DSC', I read this as wanting to provide GPS with the VHF.

You are correct, you can use our STng to NMEA0183 convertor to send GPS data to your VHF via NMEA0183. The part number is E70196 and can be ordered via your local dealer.

Many Thanks
Louise

Yes, my initial post was misleading.

Why should i pay the high price for your STng to NMEA0183 converter when I already have every needed component of what is included with it except for the one wire that connects to the 0183 VHF - which is cable A06071 at a fourth of the price. Assuming that is the only cable I need, I need instructions on how to use the two wires of that cable. Makes no sense to order the $100 converter just to get instructions. I will connect the two wires of the A06071 cable to the 0183 VHF which has two 0183 wires from it: The VHF wires are Blue to connect to MNEA out + and Green to connect to a MNEA out (-)

So please identify the purpose of the two A06071 wires which are red and yellow as seen at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raymarine-Seata...2292063339

The cable is also see at your converter https://express.google.com/u/0/product/7...44QAvD_BwE
07-05-19, 10:54 AM
Dear Sailingdeacon,

Thank you for your reply.

The cable is just an adaptor cable, modified to use with the convertor block. The 5 way block stores the software to convert STng to NMEA0183, therefore this is required if you wish to supply the VHF with GPS data.

The yellow wire in the negative NMEA0183 in and the red is the positive NMEA0183 in.

Many Thanks
Louise