Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Software(System) Updating Advice
06-27-19, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-19 02:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Software(System) Updating Advice
Good evening;

Current AP setup: ACU-200 + EV-1 + P70R

Slight history of current issue:
Per a phone conversation with Raymarine, I had to recently send in my ACU-200 for service and when I received the repaired (likely swapped) unit, the P70R was giving a "No Pilot" Alarm.

Further google researching and it seems like that there is a software conflict because the ACU has a newer version. So another call into Raymarine support. We did some testing and the tech agreed that there seems to be a software version conflict on the EV-1.

I am having a hard time getting an authorized Raymarine dealer/service business in the area (east of Cleveland, OH) to help with this and I don't have a Raymarine MFD, do have a Garmin navigation unit, but that isn't integrated into the autopilot system. If my recent research is correct, I would need a MFD running Lighthouse II OS in order for me to perform software updates to my current AP devices, correct? If that is correct, what all would be required to successfully add a Raymarine MFD to current setup and be able to push software updates to the EV-1, ACU-200 and P70R (as needed)?

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-19, 03:51 PM
RE: [CA11] Software(System) Updating Advice
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum WittsEndIII.

Q1. If my recent research is correct, I would need a MFD running Lighthouse II OS in order for me to perform software updates to my current AP devices, correct?
A1. This statement is almost correct. The software of an Evolution autopilot by be performed by any of the families of MFDs listed here, including MFDs running the latest LightHouse II or LightHouse 3 software.

Q2. If that is correct, what all would be required to successfully add a Raymarine MFD to current setup and be able to push software updates to the EV-1, ACU-200 and P70R (as needed)?
A2. If the SeaTalkng backbone is not presently being powered by the SeaTalkng Power Cable supplied with the Evolution autopilot's cabling kit, then this action must occur. The ACU-200 will be unplugged from the backbone and the MFD will be temporarily plugged into the vacated backbone socket via an appropriate length SeaTalkng Spur Cable or appropriate SeaTalkng Spur Cable Adapter. All of this said, it may be more expedient to send the EV-1 CCU to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to have its software update. They should perform this service for no fee given that the ACU was returned with an incompatible version of software. The software update is a very quick action to perform. If sending the EV-1 CCU in, then you may want to consider sending the control head in as well to permit all Evolution autopilot components to then operate with the latest available software.

Finally, please click here to view a FAQ addressing the actions to be taken following a software update to an Evolution autopilot.
07-04-19, 07:49 AM
We got our hands on an A77 MFD that had a 6pin female (spur?) cable spliced into the cable that connects to the display. The connector then fits into the white (center) spaces on the backbone. However, the MFD wouldn't communicate with the other devices, nor would the P70R see the A77.

I've attached a picture of the backbone:
(1) : Termination Plug
(2) : Cable for the EV-1
(3) : Cable for the ACU-200
(4) : Goes to a switch on the console to toggle the power to the System
(5) : Connects to the P70R via a T connector/adapter with another Termination Plug

Per the instructions you gave previously (provided I understood them correctly) I unplugged the ACU cable from the backbone and plugged in the MFD into the vacated port and then powered on the system. The MFD was running a v14.x software. It wouldn't show the P70R or the EV-1 in the Devices screen, nor would the P70R show the A77 (the P70R did still show the EV-1). I even plugged the MFD into the extra white port on the back of the P70R to have everything hooked up and it didn't connect to the other devices.

So I then made a call to Tech Support. Ran through some things with the gentleman on the phone, ultimately suggested to update the MFD software to v19 as it helps fix some communication issues. So I did that this morning; I was able to successfully update the MFD software to v19, however still no communication with the rest of the devices.

Do you have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance and have a wonderful day!
07-15-19, 04:55 PM
WittsEndIII,

The communications issue may be indicative of a problem with the a77 MFD's SeaTalkng communications circuitry or with the cable which you have created connect the MFD to the backbone. The a77 MFD should be connected to a spur (white) socket within the backbone via an appropriate length of spur cable. Bearing in mind that the connection will only be a temporary one to complete the software update, you may want to consider simply unplugging the p70R from its Spur Cable and then connect the a77 MFD to this cable. Should the MFD's select Devices List (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DIAGNOSTICS->SELECT DEVICE) not list the EV-1, then it would indicate a fault with the a77 MFD's SeaTalkng communications circuitry and necessitate updating the EV-1's software via one of the previously referenced options.