Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] RS 62157 Cable for A70D - source?
07-03-19, 02:02 PM
RE: [TG11] RS 62157 Cable for A70D - source?
An other twist on the question from the original poster:
Are the
-Power/Video/NMEA0183cable 1.5m(4.9ft) R62379
or the
-Angled Power/Video/NMEA 0183 cable 1.5 m (4.9 ft) with rightangledconnector
R70029
Viable replacements for the no longer available originally designated cable for the A50/50D/70/70D mfd models?

The contact pinouts and general layout at the mfd end look very similar to the R62157 save for the addition of video signal and return on two previously existing but unused pins.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-19, 12:01 AM
No problem Dave.

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
07-04-19, 12:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-19 12:11 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello @Nepenthe,

Quote:Are the
-Power/Video/NMEA0183cable 1.5m(4.9ft) R62379
or the
-Angled Power/Video/NMEA 0183 cable 1.5 m (4.9 ft) with rightangledconnector
R70029
Viable replacements for the no longer available originally designated cable for the A50/50D/70/70D mfd models?

The connectors are similar but not compatible. Essentially we evolved the A70-style connector to add extra connections for subsequent displays, and changed the keying of the connector in order to prevent inadvertent mis-connection.

The cables you list are suitable for:
  • 3rd-generation c-Series and e-Series (e7x, e9x, e12x, e165, c9x, c12x)
  • a9x, a12x
  • eS-series except eS7x (eS9x, eS12x)
  • gS-series
  • Axiom Pro
  • Axiom XL
They cannot be used with A50/57/70. As I say, this wasn't us being deliberately awkward but to make sure that incompatible cables couldn't be accidentally plugged into the wrong type of display.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
07-04-19, 12:19 PM
No malice suspected ?
Desperate situation just calls for desperate measures.

My final question is therefore - is the number of pins in the mfd contact and their geometry the same in the old and the more recent power cable?

The rest (keying and pinout) is manageable from my point of view and I entirely absolve you from the consequences. I just don't want to buy a piece of equipment for $US 130 in vain.

Kindest Regards

Akke Bengtsson
07-09-19, 12:56 AM
Hello Akke,

I've just checked and the dimensions and pin layout are identical. If you were to take care with what you connected with what, you could use an a/c/e/eS/gS power cable with A50/A57/A70 by modifying the cable to carve a new key-way. You might use a soldering iron or craft multi-tool or similar to create this keyway. As you say, we can't support this and haven't tested it, but personally I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

07-09-19, 08:47 AM
What a relief. I do appreciate your effort!

My refurbished A70 was originally bought only as a mean to update the software in my SPX5 in a misguided effort to integrate it with more recent Devicenet cabled equipment using a mixed Devicenet and Seatalkng backbone.

In the process, I learned that not only the SPX5 but also my Graphene CRX AIS were happier using nmea0183 connection so the task became more of integrating my existing equipment clustered around an nmea0183 multiplexer and my recently aquiered Devicenet backbone connected equipment for measuring wind, depth and log. (Sorry for the thread drift. This would do better under "systems integration".

Being able now to connect the A70 via nmea0183 enables me to also use it for debugging purposes and if I can lay my hands on a pedestal mount, I will have a navigation standby for my present IPad setup but that might be gaping over even more than the power/nmea cable ;-)