Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] radar scanner
07-09-19, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-19 01:15 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
radar scanner
i have a raymarine e120 classic and purchased a raymarine rd418d 18 " digital radome. i have upgraded the software to version 5.69. the radome came with an ethernet cable for seatalk hs and i purchased a seatalk hs crossover coupler and a saetalk hs ethernet connector for the rear of the e120 but the radome wont turn on. any suggestions, im out of answers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-19, 01:44 AM
RE: radar scanner
Hello bill229,

There are some possibilities to run through:
  • What's the power supply to the radar? Can you check to see that you have a solid 12V or more at the radar scanner (I'd take the lid off the radar scanner and measure where the internal cable plugs into the circuit board, whilst everything is connected and running, so that you see the same voltage that the radar is trying to power up from at the time)?
  • Has the E120 been used with another radar at any time in the past? If so, it's probably remembered that previous association and will be trying to turn on the old radar, not the new one (the displays support dual radar scanners and it's possible to power one up and leave the other off to save power), so I would suggest going into the menu in the Radar page and seeing if the option Select Scanner is available/selectable. If it is, this will probably get your system working.
  • Crossover couplers are known to be a bit hit-and-miss in their connections (one of the reasons we've stopped using the SeatalkHS cable type) and it's a common problem to feel like the connector is plugged fully home when it isn't in fact making a good contact. I'd open the coupler back up and unplug and replug both cables, making sure that they solidly click into place and apply inward pressure to hold them fully in whilst you secure the cables and refit the lid.
  • SeatalkHS cables are prone to internal breaks. If your grey STHS cable has a white strain mark on its sheath anywhere, it's suspect and should be bypassed or replaced.
  • Do you have access to any other STHS devices (e.g. a DSM sounder module) that you can use to check the E120's network port. E120s are prone to developing poor contacts in the internal flexi cable between their external STHS connector and the main processor board inside over the years, so it's quite possible that the problem is this internal link. If that's the problem it's going to be difficult to get it fixed however, as the flexies aren't available any longer and are unique to E80 and E120. Hopefully it's not that. Don't trust a used/salvage part as they
  • Does the radar (or any other STHS device) appear in Menu > System Diagnostics > External Interfaces > SeatalkHS > Devices? If you can't solve the problem, please let me know where it's listed there.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply