Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Interfacing Axiom 9 with old products (240 VHF/DSC and Tridata)
07-10-19, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-19 02:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Interfacing Axiom 9 with old products (240 VHF/DSC and Tridata)
I have decided to upgrade my current very old GPS chart plotter (Garmin GPSMap 520) with a refurbished Axiom 9 MFD whilst keeping the rest of my Raymarine kit at the helm. However I am a little confused on what is required in the way cables and connectors due to the different connections involved (NMEA 0183, SeaTalk and SeaTalkng).

For the Axiom to 240 VHF connection I believe I should use the E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit to supply the GPS data from the Axiom to the 240 VHF for the position input required for DSC. I will also require an A06045 Female DeviceNet to STng cable for the MFD end.

For the Tridata (with Speed and depth transducers connected), I should use the E22158 SeaTalk1 & SeaTalkng converter kit. Will this setup will also supply power from the backbone to tridata and tranducers or will the tridata unit still require its own independent power source.

Connecting the two above converters with STng backbone cable.

Can you confirm the above please.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-19, 11:29 AM
RE: [DG11] Interfacing Axiom 9 with old products (240 VHF/DSC and Tridata)
Hi ktallent
Thank you for your enquiry.

The network you describe is correct, except that the SeaTalk part of the network should have it's own independent power supply.

Basically, the STng should have it's own 12v power supply and the SeaTalk part of the network also it's own supply, then isolate the SeaTalk power from the yellow socket connection on the E22158 converter, this will ensure that the two supplies are isolated, leaving the E22158 converter powered only by STng.

Regards

Derek
07-16-19, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-19 02:43 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek
thanks you for your reply, while I was waiting for a response (its my first post on this website so it got delayed with the moderators) I also went off to a supplier after drawing up some network diagrams and they indicated that this simplified setup below would work can you confirm this...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-17-19, 06:50 AM
Hi ktallent,

Thanks for the feedback,

The attached schematic is correct in principle, there needs to be terminators, (small blue plug type things) in each of the blue sockets in the E22158 converter block.

The comment about the power supplies for the SeaTalk and STng remains the same, Basically, the STng should have it's own 12v power supply and the SeaTalk part of the network also it's own supply, then isolate the SeaTalk power from the yellow socket connection on the E22158 converter, this will ensure that the two supplies are isolated, leaving the E22158 converter powered only by STng.

Regards

Derek
07-17-19, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-19 10:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Derek
Thanks again for the confirmation, and I will do a you say above but with regard to the power supply isolation between the two networks, can you tell me the reason for this. I believe I have read in the network documentation that a STng can power a ST1 network and vice versa, whereas your notes above conflict with that. Just enquiring purely out of interest.
Keith
07-19-19, 11:28 AM
Hi Keith,

This is based on personal experience, where this type of rewiring has corrected some random network issues that were occurring onboard a few boats.

Regards
Derek