Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] In-hull transducer mounting
07-12-19, 06:07 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-19 04:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] In-hull transducer mounting
Hi,

I have a long keeled yacht. If I mount a depth transducer at the area of least deadrise (which is still 25 degrees!) the keel will inevitably block the transducer signal when heeled on one tack. The obvious location is near the bow on the centreline.

There's no area of flat fibreglass here - it is a V shape. I currently have a third party in-hull transducer here mounted in an oil-filled tube, which works without issue.

Is there any reason why Raymarine in-hull transducers would not work if mounted in an oil-filled (or wax-filled) tube bonded to the hull?

Many thanks.
Find all posts by this user
07-22-19, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-19 10:42 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG11] In-hull transducer mounting
Hi Carib,

Thank you for you feedback,

You do not mention the angle of deadrise of the hull, but in principle yes, this can work, Raymarine already have an in-hull variant of the depth transducer, E26001-PZ, this can adapt to angles of deadrise up to 20 degrees. In cases where the deadrise is larger, then an oil filled tube can be secured to the inside of the hull and the transducer secured inside this assembly.

Note the tube must be sealed, the oil used must be non toxic, polypropylene glycol, the hull itself should be clean and not antifouled with a paint containing metallic flakes or coppercoat and make sure the hull is not cored or have any air inclusions.

More detail can be found on the Airmar website http://www.airmar.com.

Regards
Derek
07-22-19, 01:46 PM
That's really helpful, thank you.
07-23-19, 02:58 AM
Hi Carib,
You're welcome
Thanks