Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Quantum Q24C on wifi but data cable connected at just dome end ok?
07-16-19, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-19 01:43 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Quantum Q24C on wifi but data cable connected at just dome end ok?
Hello,

I am setting up two Axioms and a Quantum Q24C. Originally I was pretty firm on having the radar connected by cable and not wi-fi. However, the size of the HS5 and the mounting restrictions (vertical), plus the available lengths of Raynet cables, are making me re-think this.

If I use one Raynet-to-Raynet cable to connect the two Axioms, and then connect the radar via wi-fi, it would be much less bulk and expense.

That said, I am now running wires into my new radar arch, and I definitely want to include the Quantum data cable* just in case I want to hard wire it in future. I read somewhere (on this forum IIRC), that if there is a connected data cable the Q24C will not connect via wi-fi. So here is my question:

Q: If I connect the Quantum data cable at the radome end, and run it up to the vicinity of my Axioms, but DO NOT connect it on that end (just cap off cable), will the Q24C try to connect via wi-fi? In other words, does it sense if the radome data port has a plug in it that leads to nowhere? Or will the wi-fi be negated only if that data cable makes a "complete circuit"?

It would be a major pain to run the data cable into the arch and radome later vs. now.

Thank you,
Pete

* PS: I realize there is the combined single power and data cable. I would like to have used that but the problem was the long, separate "Y" connector required. The joint of the "Y" connector lands aft of the radome and that's right where my cable needs to start making a drip loop prior to entering the arch. Wish there was a long cable with integral "Y" or a "Y" with a shorter tail.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-19, 01:49 PM
RE: [CA11] Quantum Q24C on wifi but data cable connected at just dome end ok?
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Pete,

Q11 If I connect the Quantum data cable at the radome end, and run it up to the vicinity of my Axioms, but DO NOT connect it on that end (just cap off cable), will the Q24C try to connect via wi-fi?
A1. Negative

Q2. Or will the wi-fi be negated only if that data cable makes a "complete circuit"?
A2. Quantum / Quantum 2 Wi-Fi communications will be prevented if the radome senses a physical Ethernet network connection to a MFD or network switch.
07-19-19, 11:40 PM
Chuck,

Thank you for the reply. Now I probably sound like a dunce here, but I don't understand the answer. Can I rephrase my question so maybe the answer will penetrate my noggin?

Question: If I connect a Quantum data cable to the Q24C radome, but DO NOT connect it at the helm end (so in other words the Raynet cable at the MFD end will just be lying there not connected to anything), will I be able to use the wi-fi connection method with my Q24C (to Axiom 9)?

Thanks for your patience since you already answered.

Pete
07-22-19, 10:41 AM
Pete,

Q. If I connect a Quantum data cable to the Q24C radome, but DO NOT connect it at the helm end (so in other words the Raynet cable at the MFD end will just be lying there not connected to anything), will I be able to use the wi-fi connection a method with my Q24C (to Axiom 9)?
A. Yes.
07-22-19, 11:18 AM
Chuck,

I got it this time, thank you!

So I will connect both the power cable and the Quantum Data Cable to my Q24C radome and run them down through my arch (while it's relatively easy) to the helm area.

Then I will connect the power cable but leave the data (Raynet) cable unplugged at the helm end. That way I can see how the Q24C wi-fi works out, but if it doesn't -- or I change my mind -- I can simply plug the data cable into my Axiom or H5S switch.

Thanks again for confirming,
Pete
07-22-19, 02:11 PM
You're welcome.