Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] What is given up with Y cable that negates "high chirp"?
07-16-19, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-19 01:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] What is given up with Y cable that negates "high chirp"?
Hello,

Can you give example(s) of what actual function is given up when the "high frequency CHIRP conical sonar" is lost due to the use of the A80492 Y-cable? I want to run an RV-100 and a P66, and I'm not sure whether losing "high chirp" is something I would notice or not.

I don't fish to speak of, but am more of a cruiser. I typically cruise at 6 knots, 14 knots, or 22 knots (max 30 knots but that's rare). I have an ancient Garmin fish finder with a P66 and I want to retain the speed-through-the-water that gives me. But I'd like to get rid of that unit completely (would replace with E66054 Raymarine P66).

I'm mostly interested in depths under 50' because after that they can't get to me (grounding-wise). Also too deep to dive or snorkel (for me) so no scoping needed. OTOH I do think it will be fun to play with the RV-100 just cause cool new tech.

Easiest, most efficient option is going to be Axiom 9 or Axiom 12 with Y-cable (replacing my A98 since I am installing Q24C). But if losing "high chirp" would be a bummer, I could add an Axiom 7 DV or RV (plus Raynet cable to join them) and run each transducer from its own Axiom RV. OTOH maybe "high chirp" is something I wouldn't even miss? I did a bit of reading and it sounds like the high chirp is the shallower one? So maybe losing that would be a bummer for someone more interested in <100'?

Thanks,
Pete
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-19, 02:58 PM
RE: [CA11] What is given up with Y cable that negates "high chirp"?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Pete,

The imaging produced by the low power / high frequency CHIRP sonar element of a RealVision transducer will produce sonar imaging which is very similar in appearance to that which would supported by traditional 200kHz sonar such as would be supported by the P66. The low power / high frequency CHIRP sonar has the potential to be slightly sharper with respect to the imaging produced. However, the maximum depth performance of the P66 and quite often high speed performance (the latter is particularly so for in-hull and thru-hull mounted 50/200kHz transducers) will typically be better.

For your application, it would be recommended that you proceed with the Y-Cable and continue to use the P66 ... particularly if you had previously been satisfied with the performance of the P66.
07-19-19, 11:32 PM
Chuck,

That is a great explanation, thank you!

Could I tack on a related question (sometimes I'm not sure when to extend a thread vs. start a new one).

If I have two Axiom RV's, and I run the Y-cable on one (with the RV-100 and P66) ---- can I then run a P79 on the other Axiom (E66088 P79 with A8049 adapter cable, if I have it right).

Thanks again - I have learned so much from you and this forum in general. My upgrade is coming together!

Pete
07-22-19, 09:44 AM
Pete,

Q1. If I have two Axiom RV's, and I run the Y-cable on one (with the RV-100 and P66) ---- can I then run a P79 on the other Axiom (E66088 P79 with A8049 adapter cable, if I have it right).
A1. Yes. Please note that the correct part number for the P79 is E66008 and the correct part number for the adapter cable is A80489.
07-22-19, 11:22 AM
Chuck,

Thank you for confirming. I will be in redundant transducer heaven (ever since a failed transducer put a real damper on a three week trip, I like a number of backups). I especially like that the P79 will be tucked away safely "indoors," although for everyday use I prefer the temp and STW of the P66.

And thanks for correcting my fumble-fingered mangling of the part numbers.

Pete
07-22-19, 02:19 PM
You're welcome.