Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] E95 does not output AIS data on NMEA0183
07-17-19, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-19 02:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] E95 does not output AIS data on NMEA0183
I have a E95 chart plotter and AIS650 unit and wish to output the chart plotter data (mainly GPS) and also AIS data to an Actisense USG-2 so I can interface with OPENCPN. The current NMEA0183 output from the E95 (via an Actisense NBF-3 buffer), does not contain any AIS data even though AIS data is displayed on the plotter. Thw AIS650 is linked to the Raymarine backbone. As a temporary fix I have conencted the USB output from the AIS to my computer to get AIS data. How do I get E95 data and AIS data directly from the E95 NMEA0183 output?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-19, 03:15 AM
RE: [TG11] E95 does not output AIS data on NMEA0183
Hello GSwannell,

The e95 doesn't bridge incoming NMEA2000 data to NMEA0183. That's by design, and I think is probably because of the high likelihood of NMEA data loops, the limited utility to the majority of users of such a conversion, and the fact that that conversion would only work if the port speed were 38400 (AIS data can't be transmitted at the standard NMEA0183 rate of 4800.) In general, we tend to stick with a convention that only devices which produce a particular data type should transmit transmit that data, in order to avoid loops/duplication and make sure that that data is 'authoritative'.

The best way to do what you're after is to disconnect the AIS650 from NMEA2000 and connect to both the PC and e95 via NMEA0183 instead. You can split an NMEA0183 'talker' device's output to two 'listeners', just not the other way round (two talkers to one listener will corrupt each other's data.) Don't be tempted to try to connect to both NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 at the same time.

Having said 'best way' above, I will just say that NMEA0183 is awful, long obsolete, causes no end of problems and should be avoided wherever possible. Connecting two devices in one direction is ok, but anything more complex than this tends to start introducing problems.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
07-25-19, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-19 07:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Tom,
Thanks very much for the reply. Sorry I missed it last week hence why I posted another thread. I did not tick the subscribe for notifications! I understand what you are saying and will now probably buy a NGW-1-USB which should work fine coming off the NMEA2000 backbone. Good point about the power supply to the AIS650 from the USB connection so if I do use that interface again will pull the circuit breaker for AIS power supply.
Regards
Graham
07-30-19, 02:40 AM
No problem Graham, good luck with getting everything working as you want it to.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.