Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Wind Vane Mounting Orientation
07-17-19, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-19 10:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Wind Vane Mounting Orientation
Hi,

I have a Raymarine short arm wind vane and ST60+ instrument. Due to the configuration of the mast the only practical way to mount the wind vane is pointing aft. Is there anyway to configure the system by 180 degrees to allow the wind vane to be mounted pointing aft?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-19, 02:47 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-19 08:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] Wind Vane Mounting Orientation
Hello mjbowden,

Yes, the standard post-installation wind angle alignment calibration step will do this. Just be aware that you're likely to see much less accurate wind angles when the wind is forward of the beam because of the turbulence aft of the mast-head.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
07-24-19, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-19 08:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I had issues with masthead geometry and short arm wind vane and wind from astern. Replaced it with the long arm vane (didn’t need the base or cable, just the arm and sensor). Now I get good readings on all directions.
07-25-19, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-19 08:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG11] Wind Vane Mounting Orientation
Hi billc42
Thankyou for your feedback,

It is worth noting that the wind flow at the top of the mast can vary significantly depending on the type of rig and wind direction, in addition turbulence at the masthead caused by equipment at the masthead, for example antennae and masthead lights etc . . will also affect the performance of the standard mast head transducer.

The long arm masthead transducer was intended to support these applications and to move the sensor into cleaner airflow.

Regards

Derek
07-30-19, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-19 08:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG11] Wind Vane Mounting Orientation
Hi Tom,

I did actually try this - I was under the assumption it needed to be 180 degrees but got some weird readings after i did it. I did this through User Cal - is the post installation alignment calibration you are referring to the going to circles twice - or a calibration menu?

Thanks.
08-04-19, 06:51 PM
Hello mjbowden,

After the two circles, the key point is the wind angle alignment. See steps 3 and 4 of the process on p29 of the ST60+ Wind owner's handbook at http://www.raymarine.com/manuals-documents/. Yes, this is in User Cal.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
08-05-19, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-19 08:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi,
Thanks for the information. Just one final question how do I get the unit to go into the correct mode for the two circles. the unit did this automatically after I powered up for the first time but not sure how to get the unit back into this mode?

Thanks.

Mark.
08-06-19, 04:54 PM
The two circles (linearisation) is only performed on first power-on, or after a factory reset. It's only required in a new system or if you replace the windvane. If you wish to do it again then you'll need to do the Factory Reset through the Dealer Calibration menu, described towards the back of the handbook. As I say though, this isn't normally required unless you've replaced the windvane, and does not affect the wind angle alignment.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.