Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EV-100 Power Connections Question
07-18-19, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-19 09:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EV-100 Power Connections Question
Hello all.

I am installing a new EV-100 autopilot. It consists of an ACU-100 control unit and a SeaTalkNG backbone, among other items. According to the diagram, I need power supplied to BOTH the ACU-100 unit AND the SeaTalkng backbone.

My question is: Instead of running two cables to the circuit breaker panel for power to each item, can I terminate the RED SeaTalkng cable to the ACU-100 power terminal at the same time? Essentially having two cables on the positive terminal of the ACU-100 and two cables on the negative terminal of the ACU-100.

Thanks for the help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-19, 10:07 AM
RE: [CA11] EV-100 Power Connections Question
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum GoSPR,

Q. Instead of running two cables to the circuit breaker panel for power to each item, can I terminate the RED SeaTalkng cable to the ACU-100 power terminal at the same time?
A. Negative. However, it would be possible to branch of the ACU's power lead to supply power the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. In either case, the red lead of the SeaTalkng Power Cable should be connected to a 5A inline fuse.
07-31-19, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-19 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have a related question; is it possible/recommended to connect a switched and fused power source to the positive and negative terminals on the Acu-100 STng connector to provide power to the STng network?

In my case I won’t be expanding the network any further unless I get a bigger boat with space for it, that would bring some extras in so naturally I’d bring extra power then. What I’m looking for is saving me the clutter of two extra cables on my 12” little dart mainly used for non profit sonar logging. Attached is a photo of the connectors with #2(+) and #3(-) that I want to connect power to, highlighted.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-01-19, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-19 08:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Zorona84,

While technically possible to do as you have suggested, it would not be recommended that one do as you have suggested. If seeking to reduce the number of cables, it would be recommended that the T-Piece shown within the diagram shown be replaced with a 5-Way Connector, to which the SeaTalkng Power Cable would be connected. The SeaTalkng Power Cable should be connected to 5A fuse to protect the circuit supplying power to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone.