Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] STng 2000 to 0183 converter
07-18-19, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-19 12:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] STng 2000 to 0183 converter
I Recently purchase the NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk ng converter to deliver nmea 0183 GPS data to my 0183 only Standard Horizon VHF. I've inserted the converter into the SeaTalk ng network and connected the two wire (+/-) cable it to the (+/-) inputs of the radio but am not getting coordinates on radio. Note that I've just upgraded my 4 year old e7D MFD to the Axiom 9 RV. Important to note that the GPS coordinates were being delivered to the radio as expected by the e7D and worked flawlessly from day 1.

I've also noticed that the STng converter does not show up on the Axiom as do all of the other RM networked devices. Based on what I've seen on other installations, it should show up in the upgrade component of the Axiom software. There is also a rapid, steady flashing green light on the on the STng converter. I was able to borrow a known working STng converter from a fellow boater who has a very similar (working) system and get exactly the same results which implies that the converter is working fine.

My overall configuration is STng through and through.
It includes the Raymarine Quantum radar (WiFi), AIS700 transceiver, Axiom 9 RV, ACU200 Actuator, EV-1 Course Computer, I70S display, P70S control head, iTC5 converter, P60 transducer with appropriate adapter cable to connect it to the Axiom. Other than the 0183 issue, everything works great.

Am using the ACU200 to power the bus, the Axiom of course has its own dedicated power connection. I did try disabling the ACU200 power configuration by switching it to off and connected a RM power cable to one of the network's two 5 way connectors without any luck. I suspect a network config issue but cannot seem to find any relevant diagrams/info on the web or in RM's literature.

The vessel is a 36 foot sailboat and the max length of the network is roughly 20 feet.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Peter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-19, 12:50 PM
RE: [CA11] STng 2000 to 0183 converter
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Peter,

Q1. I Recently purchase the NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk ng converter to deliver nmea 0183 GPS data to my 0183 only Standard Horizon VHF. I've inserted the converter into the SeaTalk ng network and connected the two wire (+/-) cable it to the (+/-) inputs of the radio but am not getting coordinates on radio.
A1. The problem may be resulting from use of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter having an early version of software installed within its memory. It is recommended that the MFD's Diagnostics feature (HOME->SETTINGS->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->PRODUCT INFO be used to verify that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has been updated with v2.03 software and if not, that it's software be updated accordingly. It is also recommended that you verify that LightHouse 3 v3.10.39 or later software has been installed within the Axiom MFD and if not, that its software be updated accordingly. Finally, it should be verified that the MFD is reporting that it has been able to acquire a GPS position FIX.

Should each of the above have been satisfied, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should be interfaced to the VHF radio. Should you have done as indicated within the referenced FAQ and should the problem persist, then try reversing the leads connecting the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the VHF radio (i.e. Converter NMEA 0183 OUT+ to VHF Radio NMEA 0183 IN-, Converter NMEA 0183 OUT- to VHF Radio NMEA 0183 IN+).

Q2. Am using the ACU200 to power the bus, the Axiom of course has its own dedicated power connection. I did try disabling the ACU200 power configuration by switching it to off and connected a RM power cable to one of the network's two 5 way connectors without any luck. I suspect a network config issue but cannot seem to find any relevant diagrams/info on the web or in RM's literature.
A2. While it would not typically be recommended that an ACU200 be used to power any devices other than the EV-1 and p70S, I do not suspect that this would be the cause for the reported issue. That said, I would recommend that the ACU200's STng Power Switch be configured to the OFF position and that a SeaTalkng Power Cable be used to supply power to the backbone.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply