Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11]E22158 + ST-Ng Female / DeviceNet(N2K) Male = Solution to S2G, ST8002 + NMEA CP
06-02-20, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-20 01:27 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11]E22158 + ST-Ng Female / DeviceNet(N2K) Male = Solution to S2G, ST8002 + NMEA CP
Ok!

I am stubborn and trying to get my awesome RM autopilot to be controlled by my Garmin plotter.

If you look at what I have in the title...

E22158, center port goes to the ST1 on the back of the 8002. Yes?

White port on E22158 gets the ST-Ng end of the cable mentioned.

Other end of above cable goes to N2K backbone...

?

E120 Classic (Master) & E80 Classic (Upper Station) - 10KW 4' Open - DSM300 w/Airmar M260 - S1 AP (Type 1 Pump) w/8002 & 6002 - SeaTalkHG - And... lots and lots of wire and boxes. :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-20, 01:50 AM
RE: [TG11]E22158 + ST-Ng Female / DeviceNet(N2K) Male = Solution to S2G, ST8002 + NMEA CP
Hello OldPete,

Quote:E22158, center port goes to the ST1 on the back of the 8002. Yes?

Anywhere into the ST1 network, any available port. It doesn't matter which, though the ST8002 is fine.

Quote:White port on E22158 gets the ST-Ng end of the cable mentioned.
Other end of above cable goes to N2K backbone...

Although this will pass data through, I would strongly recommend not connecting like this. This will give you two empty Backbone sockets (blue) which are prone to shorts (exposed 12V pins) and corrosion from condensation over time, or having terminators plugged into them at some future stage. All of these would bring down the STNG/NMEA2000 network.
The right way to do this is joining backbone-to-backbone (via an STNG blue socket) with one terminator in the end of the STNG network (E22158) and the other terminator in the end of the existing NMEA2000 network. We will shortly be releasing new adaptor cables to make this easy, which will be blue STNG backbone to Devicenet (A80674 is to Devicenet male, A80675 is to Devicenet female.)

Once things are connected, yes, the S2 should be able to send heading data to and receive tracking information from a Garmin plotter. What the S2 needs to see is bearing-to-waypoint, distance-to-waypoint, waypoint name/number and cross-track error. From memory it needed magnetic BTW, or true BTW plus magnetic variation (or manually-configured variation in the pilot display.)

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-11-20, 07:24 AM
RE: [TG11]E22158 + ST-Ng Female / DeviceNet(N2K) Male = Solution to S2G, ST8002 + NMEA CP
If you're impatient, and comfortable, you can make your own Micro-C to stng backbone adapter cable using Micro-C field termination connectors. Pinouts are readily available online for both connector/socket types.

Keep in mind that unlike stng, NMEA2000 bus ends have opposing types (male/female), so make sure you order the right field termination connector type for the job. This requires sacrificing a stng backbone cable, as you cannot get stng connectors easily (or, technically at all, IME).

Once wired up properly and installed, you gain the flexibility of being able to easily accommodate both connector types. I prefer the stng format, though I wish there were options for backbone modules that supported more than 3 devices at a time.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-16-20, 01:38 AM
Thanks @brk, quite right.

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.