Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] Network design - how to prevent conflicting data in ST1 network & STng network
06-17-19, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-19 08:25 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] Network design - how to prevent conflicting data in ST1 network & STng network
I just rebuilt my ST1 network and upgraded the network to STng including an ST1 to STng converter, an Evolution autopilot with the accessories and an ITC-5. Tried to balance the power as much as I could. But could not get it 100% balanced with all the instruments on the ST1 network. Due to the small size in the network and lack of good power exists in the DC panel as well as future upgrades. I decided to power the ST1 network from the STng network.

I also added an extender on one of the backbone cables for future upgrade to STng of the network to the companionway when I sometime in the future replace the ST60’s.

In the system, there is also an older RN300 GPS in the ST1 network and an e95 plotter in the STng network. I wanted to keep the RN300 for NMEA 0183 to the VHF and as a backup to the e95.

- How can I make sure that there is no conflict in data and that the RN300 only transmits data to the network when the e95 is not online?

- Do you see any issues with the current network installation?

Attaching both network drawing and my calculators of cable length and LEN.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Network-Liv.pdf (Size: 690.3 KB / Downloads: 319)
.pdf  LENandCABLES.pdf (Size: 69.12 KB / Downloads: 303)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-19, 09:11 AM
RE: [LW11] Network design - how to prevent conflicting data in ST1 network & STng ...
Dear JonasE,

Thank you for your post.

The wiring diagram looks good for the STng backbone.

For the ST1 network, I would advise this is powered independently. We recommend only powering up to 4 ST1 instruments from the backbone, here you have 6 products including the S100 remote, 4 instruments and the Shipmodul . It is likely this would be too demanding on the STng backbone and cause networking issues. When connecting

When the installation is powered up the e95 will ask you to choose the primary GPS source, you can then either select the internal GPS or the RN300 (this will list as the ST1 to STng convertor) as the master data source.

When powering the ST1 network independently, do ensure that you disconnect the 12v supply from the converter adaptor cable. You will need to make a small modification, cut the adaptor cable. Tape the red back securely and rejoin yellow to yellow and screen to screen. This will prevent double powering the STng backbone.

Many Thanks
Louise
Find all posts by this user
06-25-19, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-19 07:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [LW11] Network design - how to prevent conflicting data in ST1 network & STng ...
Thanks for the reply Louise

I will have to give the power some thought. I can either power the ST1 network separately and cut the red power cable between the ST1 and STng backbone. Or I can replace the ST60 depth with an i70s and extend the STng backbone to the companionway and run the i60 Close Hauled and the new i70s on the STng backbone. If I extend the STng backbone I would only have four instruments instead of six on the ST1 network. This is a more costly solution but something I plan for the long run. But had not planned to do initially.

Regarding the GPS source… I had the impression that the GPS on the e95 was more accurate and had a higher update frequency than the RN300. But maybe they have the same. My wish was that the RN300 would act as a backup and the GPS data would come from the e95 as long as it is connected/working.

When I get the question on the e95 regarding primary GPS source. If I select the e95 as the primary source will that affect the setting on the e95 only or will the e95 then become the GPS master for the whole STng/ST1 network?

And is there a way to get the e95 to act as a GPS master to the STng/ST1 network as long as it is connected and get the RN300 to automatically act as GPS master only if the e95 fails?

As a GPS backup it might be easier to just keep the RN300 disconnected from the ST1 network. And if I have a failure on the e95 I can power down the network and connect the RN300 to the ST1 network before power on the network?

Best regards,
Jonas

Attached File(s)
.pdf  With_i70s_and_extended_STng.pdf (Size: 541.4 KB / Downloads: 216)
06-26-19, 06:23 AM
Dear JonasE,

Thank you for your post.

Selecting the e95 as the master data source will use the internal GPS as the primary GPS source for the STng network.

In Lighthouse 2 if you have the master data source selected to automatic, it will default to using the internal GPS as the primary GPS source and default to the next source if this fails.

You can of course disconnect the RN300 from the network and only have the e95 as a GPS source.

Many Thanks
Louise
07-30-19, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-19 10:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your support Louise

I finally decided to replace one of the old ST60 instruments with an i70S and extend the STng network so there are only four devices connected to the ST1 network. Attaching the current network diagram. I also decided to keep the RN300 disconnected from the ST1 network and only use it as a GPS spare.

But when doing the final configurations and calibrations I still cannot figure out the remaining settings I want to do.

- The difference between the speed from the ITC-5 and SOG is too off. Even if I do the calibration at 5 measure points, there is quite a big difference between the measured points (x2.44 on the first to x1.56 on the fifth). How can I get the ST60 Speed to display SOG instead of data from the ITC-5 with the logg transducer? The options in the manual is not available when the ST60 is set as repeater.

- Maybe I am missing something, but I cannot find any setting anywhere on either the ST60 or the i70/i70S on how to get the speed/SOG to show data with two decimals e.g. 6.43 knots instead of just 6.4 knots. Is it possible to get the speed/SOG to display with two decimals?

Attached File(s)
.pdf  STng_Liv.pdf (Size: 552.28 KB / Downloads: 209)
08-01-19, 08:57 AM
Dear JonasE,

Thank you for your response.

Q1) The difference between the speed from the ITC-5 and SOG is too off. Even if I do the calibration at 5 measure points, there is quite a big difference between the measured points (x2.44 on the first to x1.56 on the fifth). How can I get the ST60 Speed to display SOG instead of data from the ITC-5 with the logg transducer? The options in the manual is not available when the ST60 is set as repeater.

A1) Have you set the ST60 speed as a repeater in the intermediate calibration menu? If you press the speed soft key until you reach SOG, this will continue to display until you select another page to view.
When calibrating the speed log, are you in slack water or is there a tidal influence?

Q2) Maybe I am missing something, but I cannot find any setting anywhere on either the ST60 or the i70/i70S on how to get the speed/SOG to show data with two decimals e.g. 6.43 knots instead of just 6.4 knots. Is it possible to get the speed/SOG to display with two decimals?

A2) There is not a setting to enable 2 the display to show 2 decimal places, this information is only view-able as 1 decimal place from the iTC-5 and i70.

Many Thanks
Louise