Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Networked e7, and A68
05-25-16, 11:21 AM
Networked e7, and A68
So the units are networked together and seem to perform well but not great. The speed (SOG in mph) on the e7 is way off. When the boat is stationary on the cradle it will read anywhere between 0mph and 5mph. I have been out trolling around 2mph and the e7 will read very erratic speeds. Now if I turn on my cell phone and use the navionics app to compare to the e7 the phone is more conit will read a more constant speed between 1.8mh and 2mph. The a68 will do the same a little more constant speed almost identical to my phone. I have tried turning off all other equipment and it will still be wrong. I have tried changing the filter tried turning it on and off even went through the extent to unplug it for a day to see if it made a difference.

The other thing I wanted to know is if I can mirror the screen on the e7 to display for example the fish finder on the a68.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-16, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-16 02:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Networked e7, and A68
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum chas0218,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should one of the MFDs be thought to have an issue with its internal GPS receiver and be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it would be recommended that the MFD be disconnected from the SeaTalkng backbone and Ethernet network (i.e. unplug the cables from the MFD's SeaTalkng and Network sockets) and that the MFD's GPS performance then be tested. Should the MFD's GPS receiver performance continue to be poor, then it would be recommended that the MFD be bench tested/serviced by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center.

Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD's are not designed to mirror each other. Instead, they are designed to share resources, permitting them to display the same information or other supported information pertinent to the user. The a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs may be mixed and matched in any combination desired.
05-26-16, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-16 03:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The e7 is mounted next to the a68 and the a68 doesn't have a problem reading gps speeds. It will also take about 1-2 minutes to establish a "lock" where the a68 takes under a minute. I do have a bimini but have had it both up and down and it didn't make any difference.

This unit was purchased as a refurbished unit in April of this year and since installed the GPS speed has not been right.
05-26-16, 03:51 PM
chas0218,

As the e-Series MFDs and a-Series MFDs feature different GPS sensors, it is indeed possible possible that the e-Series MFD would take longer to establish a GPS position FIX. That said, should the test have been performed in the manner which I had previously specified, then I would expect that the performance with respect to SOG to be very similar to that of the a-Series MFD and that the HDOP reported within the GPS status dialog of each MFD would be about 0.8 for this generation of MFDs. Should the HDOP value be higher than 1.0, then it may indicate that the e-Series MFD's GPS sensor is not functioning properly and that it should be returned to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be serviced.

In the interim, should the e-Series MFD be interfaced via Ethernet communications to the a-Series MFD, then the MFDs will share all system data. In your case, it would be recommended that the Data Sources feature be used to specify that the a-Series MFD will be the systems's source of GPS data or simply configure the e-Series MFD's internal GPS sensor OFF.