Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] New system install
08-03-19, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-19 03:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] New system install
My 46 ft pilot house boat has ten year old C90W MFD's on both the upper and lower helm. This basic system utilizes a DSM30 sounder module and internal GPS from upper helm C90W. No other navigation electronics.

I intend to add a new Axiom Pro 12 RVX to the lower helm and an Axiom Pro 12 S to the upper helm. Also will be adding radar, autopilot and wind instruments. Raymarine is new to me and I have some questions.
- The Pro 12 RVX has an internal 1KW chirp sounder. When I look on the Raymarine site for compatible transducers, the Axiom series not even listed, only a, c or e series. I currently have an Airmar B60 600w through hull transducer. I know this is not as good as a 1KW chirp TD but can I use it as my primary transducer? I will not be using the 3D sonar, at least not initially.

Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-19, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-19 03:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] New system install
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Pawseidon,

Should the currently installed fishfinder transducer's cable have been directly plugged into the DSM30 without adaptation, then this transducer may be adapted (part #A80496) to be mated to to the 1kW Transducer socket of the Axiom Pro RVX MFD.
08-07-19, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-19 08:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the info. The B60 is currently plugged directly into a DSM30. I will also need a transducer cable extension (about 4 meters) to reach the new Axiom Pro RVX. Can you tell me the part number for the correct extension cable to go between the adapter and the Axiom Pro RVX?

Also I want to connect my two old C90W units into a new SeatalkNG network that will have the two new Axiom Pro's, new radar, autopilot and AIS transceiver units. I believe I need the following parts to connect them: E22158, D244, D284 and A06047. Is this correct? With this connection, will I be able to use the C90W's to view the charts, radar and sonar that are on the new network?

Thanks again.
08-08-19, 08:50 AM
Pawseidon,

Q1. The B60 is currently plugged directly into a DSM30. I will also need a transducer cable extension (about 4 meters) to reach the new Axiom Pro RVX
A1. The E66010 5m Extension is the correct transducer extension cable for 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder transducers which were designed to be directly mated to the Transducer socket of the following fishfinding products (and is correct for your application):
- CP370 Digital Sounder Module
- CP300 Digital Sounder Module
- DSM30/DSM300 Digital Sounder Module
- hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Fishfinder Displays

Q2. I want to connect my two old C90W units into a new SeatalkNG network that will have the two new Axiom Pro's, new radar, autopilot and AIS transceiver units. I believe I need the following parts to connect them: E22158, D244, D284 and A06047. Is this correct?
A2. Negative. Like the Axiom MFDs, the C-Series Widescreen MFDs feature a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface. A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will be installed onboard. While it would be atypical that C-Series Widescreen MFDs be used within the same system as an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD, the Data Master MFD and Data Master Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD may each be interfaced as spur to the aforementioned backbone. The C-Series Widescreen MFDs would be interfaced to one another via SeaTalkhs Cable to permit them to share cartography and alphanumeric GPS, instrument, depth, navigational, and system state data. More information on this subject may be found within the FAQ referenced in my response to Q3.

Q3. With this connection, will I be able to use the C90W's to view the charts, radar and sonar that are on the new network?
A3. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
08-08-19, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-19 12:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the detailed response. This boat is relatively new to me but I don't think it has a SeaTalkNG / NMEA 2000 network on it. The C90W's were only connected with the SeaTalkhs cabling. With no autopilot, radar, external GPS antenna or AIS, I assume this is possible?
Given the limited functionality of the C90W's when connected to the Axioms I think I'll just go with a complete new axiom suite for both helms (2 per helm). Is there a limit to the number of Axiom MFD's and devices that can be connected via RayNet?
Thanks again.
08-20-19, 01:13 PM
Pawseidon,

Q1. The C90W's were only connected with the SeaTalkhs cabling. With no autopilot, radar, external GPS antenna or AIS, I assume this is possible?
A1. Correct. The C-Series Widescreen MFDs featured and internal GPS receiver. All data capable of being shared between these MFDs would have been achieved via Ethernet (SeaTalkhs / RayNet) communications.

Q2. Given the limited functionality of the C90W's when connected to the Axioms I think I'll just go with a complete new axiom suite for both helms (2 per helm). Is there a limit to the number of Axiom MFD's and devices that can be connected via RayNet?
A2. Raymarine has not specified a limit and four such MFDs would not be uncommon.