Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replace i70 with i70s?
08-04-19, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-19 01:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replace i70 with i70s?
Hi
I have a Jeanneau sailboat from 2011 with a C90w display. The original instruments were ST70 but I subsequently added an i70 without any problem. Does this mean that I could add an i70s without problems or would I have to add some kind of adaptor?
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-19, 02:02 PM
RE: [CA11] Replace i70 with i70s?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Srah1953,

Should the system feature a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the i70 MFID and C90W MFD are presently interfaced, then the i70S MFID may simply be connected to an unused spur socket within the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. However, should an unused spur socket not be available within the backbone, then an additional spur socket may be added to the backbone to accommodate the new device.
08-08-19, 03:05 AM
Thanks for this. To ask the question a different way, if I attached the i70s to the exact same connections where the i70 was when it worked, will it automatically work?
The original i70 appears to have got water damaged when I was unwell for a couple of years and wasn't in a position to maintain the boat, although it has been suggested that the units are waterproof, but the backing was not properly sealed (by me).
Thanks
08-08-19, 08:23 AM
Srah1953,

Q1. Thanks for this. To ask the question a different way, if I attached the i70s to the exact same connections where the i70 was when it worked, will it automatically work?
A1. Unlike the i70 MFIDs, the i70S MFIDs only feature a single SeaTalkng/SeaTalk socket. Accordingly, should only one of the i70 MFID's SeaTalkng sockets currently be connected to another device or backbone spur socket, then the i70 MFID may indeed simply be removed and the i70S MFID may then be connected in its place. However, should the i70 MFID being replaced presently be in the middle of a daisy chain, then it would be necessary to either re-order the daisy chain to place the i70S at the end of the daisy chain or to add additional networking components to permit the i70S MFID to be installed as an individual spur to the backbone.
08-08-19, 08:29 AM
Excellent. Thank you very much for this. Much appreciated
08-08-19, 08:51 AM
You're welcome.