Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Updating 2003 Sea Ray 380 Sundancer
08-05-19, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-19 09:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Updating 2003 Sea Ray 380 Sundancer
Hi,

I have a 2003

- a list of the marine electronics products which are presently installed onboard the boat

Raymarine RL80CRC, ST 7001, RN300 Mercruiser vesselview, Raymarine 4KW closed array radar, Raymarine 230 VHF and I think a raymarine ST800 transducer, NMEA 2000

- a list of the features/capabilities that you are seeking to add
- type of usage-cruise the intercoastal and coastal waterways-make a trip to the Bahamas once a year
- type vessel- Planning power boat
- any physical constraints - I don't have any real constraints other than holes already precut
- type of steering hydraulic
- vessel length 42 feet overall
- vessel displacement 20,000 lbs.
- type of propulsion- twin mercruiser 8.1s with v drives
- hull material fiberglass

I have two questions.

1. I have major headaches with my depth finder. It routinely gives bad depth readings, sometimes shows no reading and is unreliable. IS there some type of maintenance I need to perform?

2. I want to upgrade my system in technology and have the same capability as I do now. I would like to reuse what I can.

Thanks

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-19, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-19 09:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Updating 2003 Sea Ray 380 Sundancer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum rfchandler3,

Q1. I have major headaches with my depth finder. It routinely gives bad depth readings, sometimes shows no reading and is unreliable. IS there some type of maintenance I need to perform?
A1. No depth sounder has been listed among the vessel's equipment list. If the RL80CRC is supporting fishfinder features, then a DSM250, DSM30, or DSM300, along with a compatible fishfinder transducer has been interfaced to the RL80CRC as shown within the diagram below.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3420]

If so, then it would be recommended that trouble shooting begin with ensuring the all hsb cable connections between the RL80CRC and the fishfinder sounder module of free of corrosion (unseat each plug to verify), are tightly connected, have proper strain relief applied, and that the hsb cables have not been damaged or otherwise modified. It would additionally be recommended that the transducer be inspected to ensure that it is free of marine growth.

Q2. I want to upgrade my system in technology and have the same capability as I do now. I would like to reuse what I can.
A2. Please note that the Raymarine equipment of the vintage stated neither supported NMEA 2000 communications nor did it support engine integration. Any update to currently manufactured equipment would require replacement of the currently installed radome ("closed array"). We're going to need a bit more information before being able to make any recommendations. ST7001 is the product name give to the autopilot's control head. These control heads were compatible with several generations of autopilot course computers ... we will need to know the model of autopilot course computer which is presently installed onboard and will need to know if the autopilot is operational.

Please note that Raymarine MFD designs which followed the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Displays (ex. RL80CRC, RL70CRC, L760, etc.) went from a portrait layout to a landscape layout. Accordingly, Raymarine does not offer any MFDs which are designed to exactly fill the cutout of the RL80CRC ... hence I need to know what the maximum dimensions of the desired replacement display may be.

Finally, are you seeking fishfinding and/or bottom graphing or are you simply seeking to view the numerical value of the depth beneath the vessel?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-17-19, 03:43 PM
Hi I looked back at the boat and I have a look around. I have a 150 G AST course computer. The autopilot is fully operational.

I can't get the depth sounder out of the thru hull. I suspect its been several years since its been removed so the next time the boat is on the hard I will have to do more to get it out.

I will have to order a new panel in order to mount the MFD. I am not interested in fish finding. The boat (a sea ray 380 Sundancer) was not meant for that and I don't want to add it. Depth contours are a possibility or option but I really need an accurate numerical value at a minimum beneath the vessel. Thank you for your patience.

Ray
08-19-19, 02:05 PM
Ray,

Q1. I looked back at the boat and I have a look around. I have a 150 G AST course computer. The autopilot is fully operational.
A1. Great ... one less item of equipment to replace. Please note that when replacing the MFD, the autopilot features currently supported in conjunction with the RL80CRC (i.e. Track mode) would be supported in conjunction with Raymarine's Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs. As with your current system all commands for the autopilot would need be performed via the autopilot's control head. The autopilot may be interfaced to the new MFD via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of a Pathfinder Series Radar/Chartplotter/Fishfinder display with an Axiom MFD ... in this case an Axiom 12 MFD would most closely match the footprint of an 10" hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Display such as yours. The referenced FAQ addressing how devices having a SeaTalk communications interface (i.e. your autopilot) would be interfaced to the Axiom MFD via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will form the basis of a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the MFD, autopilot, and other devices will interfaced. The RN300 will not longer be required within the system. It would be recommended that the RN300 be replaced by either an i50 Depth, i50 Tridata instrument, or i70 Multifunction Instrument Display. A compatible analog instrument depth transducer and in the case of the i50 Tridata instrument compatible analog DST800 depth/speed/temperature transducer may be interfaced to the i50 Depth or i50 Tridata instruments respectively. The i50 Depth, i50 Tridata, or i70 MFID may in turn be interfaced to a spur socket within the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. A compatible Smart DST800 instrument transducer may be used with the i70 MFID and this transducer would likewise be interfaced to a spur socket within the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The RN300's GPS antenna will be replaced with a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor which will also be interfaced to a spur socket within the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2. I can't get the depth sounder out of the thru hull. I suspect its been several years since its been removed so the next time the boat is on the hard I will have to do more to get it out.
A2. The first action to be undertaken in addressing this issue would be to inspect the transducer when the boat is on the hard to ensure that it, as well as the hull, is free of marine growth. Such growth can interfere with transmission/reception of the transducer's energy and may cause an aerated flow of water across the transducer ... causing it to lose contact with the bottom. If seeking to replace the depth transducer, see the response to Q1 regarding its replacement as well as the instrument's replacement.

Q3. I will have to order a new panel in order to mount the MFD. I am not interested in fish finding. The boat (a sea ray 380 Sundancer) was not meant for that and I don't want to add it. Depth contours are a possibility or option but I really need an accurate numerical value at a minimum beneath the vessel.
A3. Noted. As indicated an Axiom 12 MFD would be recommended if seeking a MFD having a similar footprint and having a touchscreen-only interface. If seeking a MFD having both buttons and touchscreen (HybridTouch), then it would be recommended that an Axiom Pro S 12 MFD be considered.
08-19-19, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Do you have a recommended replacement radar as well? I would like to replace the 4kw analog closed array that original to the boat.
08-19-19, 02:59 PM
rfchandler3,

It would be recommended that a RD424HD radome or Quantum II radome be considered. The RD424HD has the advantage of being able support plotting of storm boundaries (precipitation), dual range, and greater range. The Quantum II radomes offer Doppler radar features, low power consumption, and instant ON/OFF features
08-28-19, 09:45 AM
Hi Chuck,

I am sorry to bother you again but is there any way that you can provide a schema or drawing of the connections/interfaces and sea talk/seatalkng connections if I was to go on your recommendation? I understand if that is completely outside of your scope.

Thank you in advance.

Ray
08-28-19, 10:10 AM
Ray,

Unfortunately, we don't have the bandwidth to produce custom diagrams. However, should you create one and attach it to this thread, then we may be able to comment on it.