Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theyr weather connection questions
05-25-16, 07:24 PM
Theyr weather connection questions
I have an e95 MFD which has current software. It is connected to an i60 series and 6000 autopilot. I am interested in adding the Theyr weather application for a transatlantic to Bermuda and am wondering if I can download the grib files thru a Satphone.
If this is possible, What would be the required set up to enable this functionality?

Can I connect the e95 directly to the Satphone? if not then -
Do I need a Satphone - computer connection to then export the data via wifi or SD card to the e95?
What are the sizes of the Grib files that need to be downloaded?

Any relevant information would be helpful.
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-16, 09:59 AM
RE: Theyr weather connection questions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum PFishman,

Before addressing your question, it need to be stated that one may trial the Theyr Weather free for 30 days, permitting one to verify the compatibility hardware supporting the connection to the Internet as well to evaluate the Theyr Weather application in conjunction with downloaded weather data. A pertinent Internet article addressing GRIB downloads via satellite phone may be found here. It would further be recommended that Theyr be contacted directly regarding this application.

Q1. Can I connect the e95 directly to the Satphone? if not then -
A1. Use of the Theyr Weather app's feature to download weather is dependent upon Internet access via SmartPhone or Wi-Fi access point. Satphone communication is typically restricted voice and low bandwith data (ex. e-mail, data files from sources specifically designed for low bandwith satellite phone transmission. In short, Raymarine has not tested this configuration. Accordingly, it is recommended that Theyr and your satellite phone manufacturer/service for confirmation of your satellite phone's capabilities with respect to downloading GRIB files.

Q2. Do I need a Satphone - computer connection to then export the data via wifi or SD card to the e95?
A2. Depending upon the capabilities of your satellite phone and satellite phone's service, this may be the most probable path to take. The MFD's Theyr Weather app is compatible with GRIB files ported to the MFD via microSD memory cards as well as those downloaded directly from the Internet via the MFD's Theyr Weather app.

Q3. What are the sizes of the Grib files that need to be downloaded?
A3. GRIB is a standard weather file format. However, GRIB file sizes are completely variable, being dependent upon the number weather data items within the GRIB file, duration of time that the GRIB file will include data for, and the dimensions of the geographic area for which weather data will be downloaded.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply