Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] CP370 Vs. E Series MFD
08-15-19, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-19 10:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] CP370 Vs. E Series MFD
My recently purchased boat had had it’s electronics mostly removed prior to sale. So, I was searching for a solution to connect to the Through-Hull Transducer that was installed. I have determined this is a B744V (and the removed electronics were Raytheon, according to the tags on the cables). So it seems both the CP370 and E series MFD should be compatible with sensor.

So I purchased a used package consisting of a e7D and CP370. Now, what seems like a very basic question, but I’m unable to find a clear answer— Do I need the CP370? What is the advantage compared to the internal sonar driver in the e7D?

The cable coming out of the transducer has a plug that will mate directly to the e7D, but the connector on the CP370 is different.

Is it possible and worthwhile to procure and adapter to plug my B744V into the CP370? Or just use the e7D?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-19, 10:50 AM
RE: [CA11] CP370 Vs. E Series MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dacpdx,

Q1. Do I need the CP370?
A1. Negative. The primary advantage of an external fishfinder sounder module is that its sole function is to process analog fishfinder transducer signals. As such external sounder modules do not have additional circuitry (ex. displays, WiFi, etc.) which can be a source of signal noise. Typically, external fishfinder sonar modules will provide the greatest level of fishfinding performance (depth and image quality) over a MFD's internal fishfinder circuitry. Depending upon the model of MFD, an external fishfinder sounder module may additionally support higher power output, permitting use with 1kW and/or 2kW transducers to support deeper operation.

Q2. What is the advantage compared to the internal sonar driver in the e7D?
A2. See the response to Q1.

Q3. The cable coming out of the transducer has a plug that will mate directly to the e7D, but the connector on the CP370 is different.
A3. The B744V belongs to a family of transducers produced by Airmar, Inc., each designed for use with fishfinding product or instruments of a specific manufacturer. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the currently installed variant of B744V transducer may be identified.

Q4. Is it possible and worthwhile to procure and adapter to plug my B744V into the CP370? Or just use the e7D?
A4. See the response to Q3. The answer is dependent upon positive identification of the variant currently installed B744V transducer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply