Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Transducer overhear messafw
08-16-19, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-19 01:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Transducer overhear messafw
At the beginning of the season I removed my CP-470 because I added an Axiom Pro 9 RVX MFD. I have a single channel airmar b175 -L connected to an airman chirp transducer junction box (I have not installed the other b175-hw yet) which is connected to my Axiom Pro 1kw transducer port. I am currently getting a transducer overheat message shortly after powering on the unit. I know it is not my RV transducer because I receive the message whether the RV transducer is connected or not. I do not receive the overheat message when I introduce the CP 470 back in to the system. Do you have any idea what the issue is?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-19, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-19 08:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Transducer overhear messafw
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Robinsonh2o,

General comment: Before abandoning the CP470, please note that external fishfinder sounder modules have advantages over the internal fishfinder circuitry found within MFDs include:

- the sole function of an external fishfinder is to process analog fishfinder transducer signals. As such external sounder modules do not have additional circuitry (ex. displays, WiFi, etc.) which can potentially be a source of signal noise which may adversely affect sonar performance. Typically, external fishfinder sonar modules will provide the greatest level of fishfinding performance (depth and image quality) over a MFD's internal fishfinder circuitry.

- chasing fishfinder transducers cables (which must not be splice or otherwise modified) and particularly their large plugs to an external fishfinder sounder module is often easier than to a MFD.

- Ethernet communications cable (RayNet) feature plugs which are much smaller than those found on fishfinder transducer cables. Ethernet cables may also be cut to accommodate chasing and then spliced back together (it is typically recommended that shielded RJ45 (M) plugs be fitted to the cut cable ends and that a waterproof RJ45 (F) to RJ45 (F) coupler be used to join the cable ends).

Q1. I have a single channel airmar b175 -L connected to an airman chirp transducer junction box (I have not installed the other b175-hw yet) which is connected to my Axiom Pro 1kw transducer port. I am currently getting a transducer overheat message shortly after powering on the unit. I know it is not my RV transducer because I receive the message whether the RV transducer is connected or not. I do not receive the overheat message when I introduce the CP 470 back in to the system. Do you have any idea what the issue is?
A1. This is quite odd indeed as this information is carried on the digital transducer XID. As the signal is digital, no circuitry issues within the MFD's fishfinder circuitry would be responsible for the reported issue. Assuming that the vessel was located in the when the overheat message was observed, it would be recommended that the transducer be tested by a Certified Raymarine Installer using Airmar's transducer tester. It would further be recommended that Gemeco, Inc. (Airmar’s US distributor (803 693 0777)) be contacted to ensure that the transducer junction box had been correctly installed/configured.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply