Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Electronics update on Sailboat.
08-21-19, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-19 10:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Electronics update on Sailboat.
I would like to update the electronics on an older sailboat. The boat currently has the following installed

-ST50 wind instrument - mounted on port side of cockpit
-ST50 Speed instrument - mounted on port side of cockpit
-ST60 depth instrument - mounted on port side of cockpit

There are 2 through hull transducers:

-Airmar temp/speed ST800-PS21-INSR
-Depth transducer - appears to be same generation as speed and temp but I cant find a part number

I'd like to install a Axiom 9 at the steering pedestal and have it display the data from the transducers and also have that data available on the existing cockpit instruments. Is there a way to have the Axiom consume the data from the existing instruments/transducers?

Thx...

Calvin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-19, 11:02 AM
RE: [CA11] Electronics update on Sailboat.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Calvin,

Generally, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would be recommended for use in adapter older Raymarine electronics for use with currently manufactured Raymarine products. However, while ST50+, ST60, and ST60+ instruments are supported for use the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, the same is not so for ST50 and ST30 instruments. Speed/temp transducers designed for use with ST50 instruments may be use with i50 instruments. Unfortunately, ST50 wind transducers are not compatible with currently manufactured Raymarine instrument products. It would accordingly be recommended that
- the currently installed masthead transducer be replaced with Raymarine's currently manufactured masthead wind transducer,
- the ST50 Wind instrument be replaced with an i60 Wind instrument
- the ST50 Speed instrument be replace with an i50 Speed instrument
- that the ST60 Depth instrument be interfaced to the SeaTalk socket of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which will form a portion of a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the i60 Wind instrument, i50 Speed instrument, and Axiom MFD will each be interfaced as individual spurs.

The system specified above will permit data from the aforementioned instruments to be displayed on and utilized by the MFD in support of its wind and STW dependent features.
08-24-19, 10:51 AM
I was afraid of that. Think my plan will be to leave the old instruments in place, install the Axiom 9 as a stand unit. Then add i series instruments to the backbone later as I get them. Eventually swapping out the old gear for a newer system on SeatalkNG. In the meantime I'll essentially have two networks, one old one new.

This leaves me with one additional question. The Axiom has both the SeatalkNG connector and a stand alone/dedicated power line. Meanwhile the SeatalkNG backbone has its own power connector. This leaves me with two questions:

1) Can I run the Axiom9 at the pedestal with just a power connection and no network connection - e.g. the Axiom has its dedicated power line wired to the main panel but the SeatalkNG connection is not connected to a SeatalkNG backbone with its associated power.

2)Once I get an i series instrument and setup my SeatalkNG backbone with the instrument and the Axiom, will the Axiom draw power from the SeatalkNG backbone or will it still require its dedicated power source? Does it need both?

Thanks. This forum and the associated resources have made it much easier to decide what to do and its bit part of why I'll be going with Raymarine on the new boat moving forward.

Thx...

Calvin
08-26-19, 08:51 AM
Calvin,

Q1) Can I run the Axiom9 at the pedestal with just a power connection and no network connection - e.g. the Axiom has its dedicated power line wired to the main panel but the SeatalkNG connection is not connected to a SeatalkNG backbone with its associated power.
A1) Yes. MFD are designed to be powered via the supplied Power/NMEA 2000 Cable using the cables' power (red and black) leads irrespective of whether the MFD will be interfaced as a spur to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. MFDs are neither designed to be powered via a SeaTalkng / NME2000 backbone nor to supply power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q2a)Once I get an i series instrument and setup my SeatalkNG backbone with the instrument and the Axiom, will the Axiom draw power from the SeatalkNG backbone
A2a) Negative ... see the response to Q1.

Q2b) will it still require its dedicated power source? Does it need both?
A2b) Both. The MFD will be powered as specified within the response to Q1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone should be powered.