Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] VHF static
09-17-19, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-19 10:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] VHF static
I've been troubleshooting a problem where I get static and interference on my VHF radios, and think I have isolated the culprit to the radar. I seem to get the interference when my radar is in standby mode, but it goes away when the radar is transmitting. Any thoughts on what is happening, and how to eliminate the static?

I have checked and am running the latest software on the MFD and all other devices. Currently using LH3 v3.10.42 - Bermuda.

I had this same problem before upgrading this year from my eS127 and es97 MFDs that were running LH2, but didn't observe the Tx versus STBY issue until now.

I currently have a system consisting of Axiom Pro 12, Axiom Pro 9,
RD424 HD digital Radar
CP470 CHIRP Sonar
SR150 Sirius XM Weather Receiver
AIS700 Class B Tranceiver
HS5 network switch

Radios are Lowrance Link-5 and Standard Horizon GX2150; each connected via NMEA 0183; one to each MFD. Each radio is connected to a digital 529 VW antenna, one of which goes through the AIS700 internal antenna splitter. Swapping which radio is connected through the splitter does not affect the symptoms in any way. I hear the static on both radios; more on some VHF channels than others.

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-19, 10:25 AM
RE: [CA11] VHF static
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Stan,

Please verify that the VHF antenna cables have not been bundled with other cables, particularly the radar cable. Please additionally verify that the radome and VHF antennas are no closer than 2' from one another. Should neither of the above have been violated, then it would be recommended that it be determined whether the noise is present only on certain channels and that this information, along with the radome be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
09-19-19, 06:00 AM
Thanks, Chuck. The VHF antenna cables do run through the same tube as the radar antenna cable from the hardtop to the console. I'll check and see if i can reroute. Wouldn't that be more likely to be an issue when the radar is transmitting? No static while transmitting....only when in standby.
09-19-19, 07:56 AM
Stan,

Q1. Wouldn't that be more likely to be an issue when the radar is transmitting?
A1. Not necessarily. When in standby, the radar is still drawing power and communicating with the MFD. When transmitting, the power draw increases as well as communications traffic. However, before removing / pulling cables, you may want to perform a simple test using a handheld VHF radio or another VHF antenna (ex. the emergency VHF antennas which many vessels carry onboard). To test, you or a Raymarine installer may want to place the handheld VHR radio or test VHF antenna (connected in a temporary fashion to one of the VHF radios) in the location of one of the present VHF antennas. Should the problem be duplicated within the test, then it would be recommended that the radome be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.