Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Wind instrument reads low
08-29-19, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-19 09:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Wind instrument reads low
I have a networked system, C80 Classic, SPX-5 autopilot and an ST6001 control head connected via the STng converter. I also have Raymarine instruments for depth and speed, a nmea 0183 instrument for wind, SR-50 weather, etc. The C80 is connected via both Seatalk 2 and Seatalk 1. The wind instrument feeds nmea 0183 data directly to the autopilot and it is displayed correctly on the C80 and the ST6001 head.

If I connect my ST60+ wind instrument (want to use it as a repeater) it show very low wind speed. If I disconnect the Seatalk 2 from the back of the C80 the wind instrument displays correct wind speed and is in sync with the data on the C80. As soon as I reconnect the Seatalk 2, the wind display slows down (i.e. showing wind speed betwee 0 and 1 knot when the actual speed is 8-9 knots.

What could be the problem? I would like to keep the Seatalk 2 connection to the C80 because this way I get fast heading from the autopilot, the remote keypad and Sirius weather. However, I also like to have wind displayed on the instrument. Should I get rid of the NASA nmea wind sensor and go back to a Raymarine sensor?

Thank you for your help.

p.s. There has always been a good discussion on what nmea 2000 data the old C80 understands. I can now confirm that the C80 understands heading, wind, depth and speed. It can also control the autopilot. I believe it also understands GPS position info but I have not tested it yet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-19, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-19 09:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Wind instrument reads low
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum vshtonov,

As you have suggested NMEA 2000 support within the C-Series Classic MFDs was limited and developed primarily to support interfacing NMEA 2000 engine systems, fuel flow sensors, and tank level sensors. These are the data items that the MFD's NMEA 2000 interface has been officially tested to support. It would be interesting to learn what devices have been interface to the system's NMEA 2000 backbone and whether you have connected a NMEA 2000 analyzing product (ex. Actisense NGT-1 with PC running Actisense NMEA Reader software, etc.) and examined the backbone for PGNs including wind data and then noted their source.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply