Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 9, units settings
08-29-19, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-19 12:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 9, units settings
Since I've installed the Axiom 9, I am unable to have the distance units to stay in NM (nautical mile) or other units for that matter. It always defaults back to SM (Statute mile). It behave like this on the initial installation with the 3.2 OS and is doing the same with the latest version 3.10. Note: the sys language is in french. I have attached a picture of the setting page. Any idea why and how to make it stay in NM? tks.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-19, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-19 12:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom 9, units settings
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Wildcat,

After configuring my MFD to use the French language, I have been unable to duplicate the reported issue. Is the Axiom 9 MFD interfaced to any other devices within the system? Did you perform a Power ON Factory Reset following the installation of LH3 v3.10.42 and then manually (i.e. not from a saved settings file) configure the MFD's settings?
09-02-19, 10:38 AM
I did the factory reset without loading external data. Unfortunately the units is still defaulting to Statute mile. I have tried 2 other resets with the same result. I have done another reset but kept the OS in english and again the distance unit was defaulting to SM. The last reset I have done I was able to have Kilometer but now the system gives mixed units for the dimension of vessel.
09-09-19, 01:35 PM
Wildcat,

It looks as though we're going to need some additional information concerning the devices within your system. If you could go to Home > Settings > Network > Diagnostics >Product Info and then Save All Data, then post the data file (you choose the filename when you save, but it's normally something like 'diagnostics....json'), that would be very helpful. This file will help me identify which devices have been installed within the system, their software versions, and their serial numbers.
09-19-19, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-19 09:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Sorry for the delay, you will find attached, the downloaded file from the MFD.

Thanks

Attached File(s)
.json  Diagno16092019.json (Size: 1.91 KB / Downloads: 166)
09-25-19, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-19 03:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Wildcat,

As the system included a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, please lists all legacy devices have been interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. When the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable is unplugged from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter SeaTalk (yellow) socket, does the problem persist?
09-30-19, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-19 09:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Wind instrument ST60+
Depth instrument ST60
Speed instrument ST60
Autopilot head ST6000+ With rotary type I drive and a Type 100 computer running on 12 volts

I have done what you mention regarding the yellow cable on the Seatalk converter. Once disconnected I was able to select NM or other units. But once reconnected, it holds the unit previously selected until you choose another. It then defaults back to SM and I am unable to choose anything else for a unit.
Additionally to the equipment mention previously I have an external GPS Differential antenna and a Multi instrument ST60. My Axiom replaced a RL70 monochrome chart plotter.

Since the Axiom units can be change without problem when not connected to the Seatalk converter, the problem has to come from one of the elements of the network. I have done a bit of de-snagging. I have disconnect the external GPS antenna from the system but no change (in the Axiom network, internal GPS is the default GPS).

The eureka moment came up when I went trough the different pages of the speed instrument. The log page unit was in Satute Mile. By going into the calibration page I change the distance unit to NM and voila, Axiom change automatically to the same unit.

So my findings are; the speed instrument (ST60) is imposing the units standard to Axiom (I have tried to change the speed unit to km/h on the ST60 with the same outcome)
Every time I power on the instruments, ST60 speed instrument log page defaults to SM (ST60 speed instrument Version 2.02) Even if in calibration page the unit was something else before powering off.

My questions are. Is it possible to have Axiom being the master in choosing units for the network? If not, is there a way to change the ST60 so it default in NM on startup?
10-01-19, 10:05 AM
Wildcat,

According to the FAQ found here Type 100/300 autopilot course computers are not supported for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. It is typically recommended that such course computers and their control heads be disconnected from that SeaTalk bus and that they instead be interfaced to the backbone via a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.). The latter may be interfaced to the autopilot's control head or to the autopilot's course computer.

Regarding the unit problem, you may want to try utilizing the MFD's Data Sources feature (HOME->SETTINGS->NETWORK->DATA SOURCES) to determine whether it lists a speed source and if so, to manually configure it to select that source. The reported problem may also be occurring as the result of the ST60 Speed instrument not sensing a temperature transducer on startup, resulting in it reverting to a repeater ... and thus the units change seen. The latter issue may be indicative of a problem with the ST60 Speed instrument or its transducer.