Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading from e series to Axiom Pro
08-29-19, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-19 09:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrading from e series to Axiom Pro
I am planning to upgrade my existing dual screen e series system to the Axiom Pro. Replacing an e125 and an e127 with 2 new Axiom Pro 12 RVX units. Can I simply install the new Axiom units using the e125/127 cables already in place? I understand that a new cable for the RVX Transducer and any other other changes must be made. My power and network cables are already in place and it would save me a great deal of work not having to cut them out. This system is being installed on a 31' SAFE Boat full cabin patrol boat.

Thank you
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-19, 10:22 AM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading from e series to Axiom Pro
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

The Axiom Pro MFDs utilize the same Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable which had been utilized by the c/e/gS-Series MFDs and 9" and larger a/eS-Series MFDs. Any RayNet Cable(s) which have been interfaced to these MFDs need simply be unplugged from the e-Series MFDs and then plugged into the Ethernet Network (RayNet) sockets of the Axiom Pro RVX MFDs. An A06082 SeaTalkng (M) to DeviceNet (F) Adapter may be used to adapt any SeaTalkng Spur Cable which had been interfaced to the e-Series MFDs to then be mated to the NMEA 2000 socket (DeviceNet) of the Axiom Pro RVX MFDs. Finally, fishfinder transducers which had been designed to be directly mated to the fishfinder Transducer socket of ax7/cx7/e7D/ex7/eSx7 MFDs cannot be adapted to be mated to the 1kW Transducer socket of Axiom Pro RVX MFDs.

Please note that Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs are designed to share all features and resources. Accordingly and if seeking RealVision sonar and/or 1kW CHIRP Sonar features within the new system, only one device featuring RealVision sonar circuitry and/or 1kW CHIRP sonar circuitry need be present within the system. Accordingly, the second MFD may be an Axiom Pro S MFD rather than an Axiom Pro RVX MFD, thereby saving some cost within the upgrade.
Find all posts by this user
08-30-19, 02:47 PM
Hello Chuck & Thank You for your prompt response........

I have attached a pdf outlining the original system and wiring changes made since then and prior to the planned upgrade.

I am replacing my original analog back-up deck camera with a Raymarine IP bullet camera eliminating the need for a second analog video input. I Will continue to feed the FLIR analog signal into the one video input of both AXIOM PRO mfd's (thru signal splitter). Incidentally, I may add additional IP cameras but understand I'll need another switch to bring them into the network.

"An A06082 SeaTalkng (M) to DeviceNet (F) Adapter may be used to adapt any SeaTalkng Spur Cable which had been interfaced to the e-Series MFDs to then be mated to the NMEA 2000 socket (DeviceNet) of the Axiom Pro RVX MFDs."
Copy that and understand. Should this connection be made to both AXIOM PRO MFDs ? Or should it be made to one with the data then to be shared over the network (Raynet) ?

"Finally, fishfinder transducers which had been designed to be directly mated to the fishfinder Transducer socket of ax7/cx7/e7D/ex7/eSx7 MFDs cannot be adapted to be mated to the 1kW Transducer socket of Axiom Pro RVX MFDs."
Understood. The existing depth sounder, CP100 and CP200 systems will be removed and replaced with an RV-300 All-In-One transducer.

"Accordingly, the second MFD may be an Axiom Pro S MFD rather than an Axiom Pro RVX MFD, thereby saving some cost within the upgrade."
That point, though well taken, is mute as the 2 MFDs have already been purchased. But Thanks!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-19, 08:52 AM
John,

Q1. I have attached a pdf outlining the original system and wiring changes made since then and prior to the planned upgrade.
A1. No PDF file was attached to your response. Please click here to view a FAQ including information concerning how to add attachments to posts or threads.

Q2. "An A06082 SeaTalkng (M) to DeviceNet (F) Adapter may be used to adapt any SeaTalkng Spur Cable which had been interfaced to the e-Series MFDs to then be mated to the NMEA 2000 socket (DeviceNet) of the Axiom Pro RVX MFDs."
Copy that and understand. Should this connection be made to both AXIOM PRO MFDs ? Or should it be made to one with the data then to be shared over the network (Raynet)?
A2. The system's Data Master MFD must be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. However, many will elect to connect a second MFD to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone for redundancy purposes. In that way, should the MFD which had been designated to be the Data Master suffer a failure, then the other MFD may then be designated to be the Data Master.
02-18-20, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-20 09:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I'm thinking of upgrading my two e125s to a new Axiom 12 system. I saw you recommending that the two displays don't have to be equal to reduce cost. If that's true, can I mix a PRO with a non-PRO? I'm considering the E70372-00-NAG for my master with a regular Axiom 12 as the slave display. Will that work?
02-19-20, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-20 09:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum David,

Q1. can I mix a PRO with a non-PRO?
A1. Yes.

Q2. I'm considering the E70372-00-NAG for my master with a regular Axiom 12 as the slave display. Will that work?
A2. Yes.
02-19-20, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-20 10:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck! Greatly appreciated. I just want to confirm a couple of things:

- I can mix the E70372-00-NAG (Axiom Pro) with an E70368 (Axiom)
- The PRO w/maps will be the "master" and everything will work
on both screens
- Both the models I mention will fit in the holes my two e125s occupy
- The cabling I have with my two e125s will work with the two Axioms

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to the new models and new functionality.
02-20-20, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-20 11:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q1. I can mix the E70372-00-NAG (Axiom Pro) with an E70368 (Axiom). The PRO w/maps will be the "master" and everything will work
on both screens.
A1. When properly interfaced to one another, the Axiom Pro and Axiom MFD will share all resources and data.

Q2. Both the models I mention will fit in the holes my two e125s occupy
A2. The footprint / cutout of the Axiom Pro and Axiom XL MFDs are not identical to those of the e125 MFDs. The footprint of the Axiom Pro 12 MFD is slightly larger than the e125 MFD. The footprint of the Axiom 12 MFD is smaller than the footprint of the e125 MFD ... Raymarine offers an adapter plate (A80528) to fill the void.

Mounting templates including cutout and footprint dimensions for the Axiom and Axiom Pro may be found with Raymarine's Product Documentation.

Q3. The cabling I have with my two e125s will work with the two Axioms,
A3. The Axiom Pro and e-Series MFDs use the same power and RayNet cables. The SeaTalkng cable will need to be adapted to be mated to the Axiom Pro MFD's NMEA 2000 socket. Axiom MFDs utilize a different power cable and is used by the e125 and do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface or analog video interface. Axiom and e125 utilize the same RayNet Cables, albeit Axiom MFDs only have one Ethernet (RayNet) socket. The SeaTalkng cable will need to be adapted to be mated to the Axiom MFD's NMEA 2000 socket (if it will be interfaced to the backbone).