Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Problems with Fishfinder
09-03-19, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-19 08:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Problems with Fishfinder
Hi. I have a Raymarine/Airmar P66 connected to a Raymarine DSM 30 connected to a Raymarine C120.

The Fishfinder/Transducer works fine about 75% of the time, but a couple times every hour it will ether (i) shift over to a different model of transducer (more frequent) or (ii) stop providing information.

When it shifts over to a different model of transducer, the P66 is no longer selectable from the menu. When this happens, usually the sonar continues to work and just the speed disappears. Usually I go to "reset DSM" and it will clear up the issue. Sometimes I have to try more than once but it usually clears up quickly.

When it stops working completely, I lose all sonar information. The model correctly identifies, and the diagnostics show packets being sent and received but no sonar data comes through. usually I have to reset many times over a longer period of time (e.g., an hour) to get it working again. This type of error is infrequent.

Would appreciate any advice to help diagnose the above.

Thanks,

MojMoj
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-19, 08:56 AM
RE: [CA11] Problems with Fishfinder
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum MojMoj,

It is recommended that you verify that the transducer's cable has neither been modified (i.e. cut/spliced) or has been adapted to be mated to the DSM. It is also recommended that the P66 transducer plug's pins be inspected for signs of corrosion and if not such corrosion is found that its plug be reconnected to the DSM's transducer socket, and that its locking ring then be rotated into the locked position to secure it to the DSM. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would indicate a problem with the transducer or the DSM itself. Using a Airmar transducer testing tool, a Certified Raymarine Installer may be able to determine whether there is a problem with the transducer. However, should the problem be fault isolated to the DSM and should it be desired to continue use of the C-Series Classic MFD as a fishfinder, then it would be necessary to replace the DSM with an operational second hand DSM30 or DSM300, as Raymarine can no longer service these sounder modules and the sounder module which replaced them (i.e. the CP370) is not compatible with C-Series Classic MFDs. Before seeking a replacement, one of Raymarine's dealers (Sea Wire Marine) specializes in repairs to equipment which Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer service. Accordingly, it would be recommended that they be contacted to determine whether they can service your DSM30.
09-13-19, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-19 09:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you much for the replay.

Confirmed the following:
1. No splice
2. No corrosion
3. Locking ring good

Do you have the specs that would allow me to test the transducer with a multimeter without sending it off?

Regards.
09-16-19, 09:06 AM
MojMoj,

Q1. Do you have the specs that would allow me to test the transducer with a multimeter without sending it off?
A1. Fishfinder transducers cannot generally be tested using a multimeter. Many Certified Raymarine Installers are equipped with Airmar's TDT1000 Transducer Tester ... recommend checking with the installer before they visit the vessel.
10-02-19, 07:39 PM
1. I swapped the transducer with Airmar P66. OEM Part # E66054 that on the Airmar website is compatible with the DSM30.

2. I upgraded the firmware of the C120 classic to the latest as of today.

3. I attempted to do a firmware flash of the DSM 30 and that failed. I put the CF card in. Turned on the MFD. Chose Bootloader firmware. Chose Update a Remote Device. Chose Update via Sonar Port. Powered up the DSM 30. Then I get the below error:

A fatal error has occurred -- Assertion Failed: (false) in
File "..\..\..\..\..\..\Source\Bootcode\Tools\Pandora\Upgrade\RemoteUpgrade.cpp" at line 460

Please contact Raymarine's Product Assurance Department providing details of the events that resulted in this error

Am I doing the update wrong? Do you have any suggestions?
10-03-19, 09:30 AM
MojMoj,

As improved sense resistor detection is part of the latest software update and the symptom reported is that the type of transducer is changing, updating the DSMs software may indeed address the reported issue. The most common causes for the reported issue is an incompatibility of the CF memory card with the MFD's boot loader or intermittent communications with the DSM. As you had indicated that you had successfully updated the MFD's software, should the same CF memory card have been used to update the DSM, then I would have expected the software update to be successful unless the aforementioned intermittent communications issue was being experienced. Should another CF memory card(s) be available, then it would be recommended that it be used for the software update. Should the failure persist, then the DSM may be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to receive the software update.
10-17-19, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-19 09:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The instructions state as follows:

"Updating a Digital Radar or DSM30/300

Press the UPGRADE REMOTE UNIT ON SeaTalkhs."

I don't see an option for update on SeaTalkhs. I only see Update via Sonar Port." Is that causing the problem or should I be doing something differently?
10-17-19, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-19 09:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
MojMoj,

The instructions for updating the DSM via a C-Series Classic MFD are included within the instructions which may be accessed via the DSM30/300 software update web page. Unfortunately, they're a bit generic. For C-Series Classic MFDs, substitute UPGRADE REMOTE UNIT for UPGRADE REMOTE UNIT ON SeaTalkhs. After doing so, select UPGRADE REMOTE UNIT ON SONAR PORT. In a nutshell, the DSM's bootloader must be installed first. After doing so, then the application is loaded.