Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Quantum Radome stopped working - 'failed self test' - what to test?
08-02-19, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-19 02:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Quantum Radome stopped working - 'failed self test' - what to test?
Our Quantum radar has been installed for just over 2 years. It has been lightly used. On our last passage it had been working normally. I put it into standby. Later that night I switched to transmit - and it stated 'Radar Quantum Radome (-60366) Not available. Scanner failed self test'
I cycled the power. No improvement.

It is connected by data cable, so I tried to connect to the radome by wifi from the Lighthouse MFD - connection appeared to be successful and the transmit button became available, but on pressing transmit, it returns same message, failed self test.

To be sure I connected our second Lighthouse MFD by wifi, and the result is the same.
Have tried on another day after a full power recycle. No improvement.

Supply voltage at the switch is normal (24V).
I assume that power to the radome is fine because it's trying to self test.
Does this suggest an internal fault with the scanner?
Are there any further tests I can perform?
Of course I am cruising - not easy to find a Raymarine expert. I have an electronics background.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-19, 03:00 PM
RE: [CA11] Quantum Radome stopped working - 'failed self test' - what to test?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Cmonster,

We're sorry to learn of the reported issue. It would be recommended that the radome's power cable be unplugged and that the voltage be measured at the Quantum Power Cable's plug. Should the measured voltage be as specified, then it would unfortunately appear that the Quantum radome has suffered a failure necessitating that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
08-15-19, 11:12 AM
Thanks for responding Chuck. Measured voltage at power cable is normal. Have removed radome from mast. Is there anything else to check before we begin the painful process of finding a repair centre in Panama or commence the warranty claim?
08-19-19, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-19 03:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Cmonster,

Q. Is there anything else to check before we begin the process of finding a repair centre in Panama or commence the warranty claim?
A. Negative. However, should you be in a location which is inconvenient with respect to service, then you may want to try bypassing the Quantum radome's wired adapter and attempt a Wi-Fi connection between the Quantum radome and the MFD. To do so, the Quantum data cable may simply be unplugged from the MFD or Network Switch. After doing so, you may then attempt to pair the Quantum radome with the MFD if the measured signal strength from the MFD at the mounting location of the Quantum radome is satisfactory. Doing so may then provide radar capabilities until such time as it is convenient to have the radome serviced.
09-07-19, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-19 09:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
No unfortunately it will connect by WiFi from either of 2 MFDs but the message is the same.. failed self test,
09-09-19, 09:47 AM
Cmonster,

It unfortunately appears that the Quantum radome has suffered a failure necessitating that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.