Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Transducer for axiom pro
09-12-19, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-19 08:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Transducer for axiom pro
Will a Dst 800 transducer work with the axiom pro?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-19, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-19 08:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Transducer for axiom pro
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Mark,

Two versions of the DST800 are available from Raymarine. One version features an analog communications interface and will be connected to the depth, speed, and temperature transducer terminals of an i50 Tridata or iTC-5. The second version features a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000. Should the analog DST800 transducer be interfaced to an iTC-5 or should the SMART SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 version of the DST800 transducer be installed, then an i70S/i70 MFID will be required to calibrate / set offsets and to configure alarms associated with depth and temperature. These transducer will not support the MFD's fishfinder features.
09-13-19, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-19 12:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I do not want another display. So the NMEA 2000 version cannot just plug into the current backbone and display on the axiom? This is on a sailboat where ducer space is limited. I’m trying to put a combination ducer in place of the old knotmeter wheel in front of the keel. Is there a better design than the dst800? Temp is not important.
09-13-19, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-19 12:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mark,

Anecdotal feedback from DST800 owners includes reports that the maximum depth performance is often not quite as deep as Airmar specifies for this transducer. For sailing applications, I typically recommend an Axiom Pro S MFD for the cockpit display with a CPT-S transducer installed forward of the keel. Should the cockpit display be located in a pod mounted to binnacle tubing, then I would typically recommend the transducer be interfaced to a CP100 DownVision Sounder Module or Axiom DV MFD below deck. Doing so would then permit an Ethernet cable (which may be spliced) rather than a fishfinder transducer cable (which should not be spliced) to be chased through the binnacle tubing. This low power transducer would permit related offsets and alarms to be configured via the MFD and would additionally support a graphical representation of the bottom (i.e. fishfinder features).

While NMEA 2000 speed / temp transducers may be interfaced to the MFD and will repeat the values reported by the transducer, there would be no means of calibrating / applying offsets them. Should space not be available at the helm, then the i70S MFID may be installed below decks or at some other convenient location, where it may be called upon whenever calibration or offset / alarm configuration is required. The same would naturally be so for Raymarine / Airmar NMEA 2000 depth / speed / temperature transducers.