Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] S100 installation problem
09-16-19, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-19 03:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] S100 installation problem
Hi,

Early this year I have had installed a complete new Raymarine system on my 34” pilot boat: a.o. Axiom 12”, ACU-200/p70Rs, Quantum2 doppler Radar, 2 * i70s. I kept my AIS500. I am really satisfied with the performance/functionality of the system.

However. I have got one problem. I can’t get the S100 to work. I have updated all the software to the respective last versions. Whatever I do, the S100 continues to give the fault “NO PILOT”. The S100 handheld/base station have been returned for check-up by the Ray service center but were returned as the service center confirmed proper functioning.

Please be so kind as to give me hints how to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rene

The Netherlands
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-19, 08:51 AM
RE: [DG11] S100 installation problem
Dear Rene.Postulart,

Thank you for your post.

How have you got the S100 connected to your network?

Has anything else on your network got the message 'no pilot'?

Many Thanks
Louise
09-18-19, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-19 03:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dear Louise,

Thanks for your response.

1. The S100 has been connected to the STNG backbone with a ST to STNG convertor cable

2. All equipment functions well. There are no messages “NO PILOT” other than on the S100.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks, Rene
09-20-19, 08:24 AM
Hi Rene,

The base station for the the S100 must be connected through a SeaTalk to STng converter, (E22158) correctly connected into the current backbone and the converter cable from the yellow socket of the E22158 SeaTalk to STng converter block connected to the base station.

Just using the converter cable on its own will not work and cause the symptoms shown on your display.

Regards
Derek
09-21-19, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-19 07:41 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek,

Thanks for your response. I think that the installation is like you describe how it ought to be. I might not be precise enough in describing the connection earlier. Again: The base station is connected to a ST1 three block. The ST1-STNG cable is connected form this three block to the yellow socket of the E22158 adapter. The E22158 adapter is the last terminal in the STNG network. Both the EV1 and a i70S are also connected to this adapter. I have attached three photographs whick speak for themselves. Please let me know whether the connection is OK and/or where else I should be looking for.

Thanks,

René

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-23-19, 07:50 AM
Hi Rene,

Thank you for your feedback, OK, this connection looks correct, can you check the software version of the converter block? Possibly if it is an early version it wil not pass the autopilot data across.

regards
Derek
09-23-19, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-19 04:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek,

The software version is 2.03.

Regards, Rene
09-24-19, 03:02 AM
Hi,

This is the latest software version for the converter block.

Either the base station for the remote is faulty and not communicating over SeaTalk or there is a cabling/ connection issue. If you have checked to make sure that the connections to the base station are in good order, check especially continuity in the yellow seaTalk core of the cable from the converter to the base station.

One last thing to try, cut the red core of the cable between the base station and the converter, this will cut off power to the base station, then provide a separate dedicated 12v power to the base station, if this still does not help, then return the base station and remote to an appropriate Raymarine service dealer or to our workshop for further investigation.
Regards
Derek
09-29-19, 10:33 AM
Hi Drek,

Thanks again. I have this weekend:
1.Checked all cables and the yellow one particularly
2. Connected a separate 12V to the base station
3. Exchanged the convertor block with the other (I have got two in my system) elsewhere in the network
4. Connected the base station to the other block
===> in all cases still “NO PILOT”

I had the S100 already checked by the Ray service center in august. I guess it is likely that the S100 is not ok and I will have to send it again?

Please advice.

Regards,

Rene Postulart

(09-24-19 03:02 AM)Derek - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hi,

This is the latest software version for the converter block.

Either the base station for the remote is faulty and not communicating over SeaTalk or there is a cabling/ connection issue. If you have checked to make sure that the connections to the base station are in good order, check especially continuity in the yellow seaTalk core of the cable from the converter to the base station.

One last thing to try, cut the red core of the cable between the base station and the converter, this will cut off power to the base station, then provide a separate dedicated 12v power to the base station, if this still does not help, then return the base station and remote to an appropriate Raymarine service dealer or to our workshop for further investigation.
Regards
Derek
09-30-19, 05:27 AM
Dear Rene.Postulart,

Thank you for your post.

As Derek previously mentioned in a post, it looks like you have not modified the ST1 to STng converter cable.

Have you dependently power the STng backbone with a 12v power supply?

Have your ST1 products also got their own 12v supply?

If you have 2 converters in the system both connected with a 12v feed from the ST1 system (the ST1 network carries a 12v supply) and 12v coming in independently to the backbone , you will be powering the network 3 times. With the yellow adaptor cable connecting the S100 to the STng, cut the cable and strip some of the sheath. Rejoin the yellow and screen but tape back the red core, this is the 12v supply and can cause issues when the STng bus is also powered independently.

With your other seatalk converter, are you powering a couple of ST1 instruments from the backbone or are have they a 12v supply of their own? If you are powering the ST1 system, you will also need to modify this cable. The STng bus only requires one source of a 12v input.

Many Thanks
Louise