Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Dual Axiom 9’s, One chart card or two?
09-24-19, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-19 11:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Dual Axiom 9’s, One chart card or two?
Hello,

I’m getting ready to install my two Axiom 9’s with Navionics+. Will I need to have the Navionics+ cards installed in both units or will the data transfer over the NMEA network?

Also I will be installing a Raymarine RD418HD Radar w/Raynet cable. Is there anything special I need to do to add it to the NMEA network?

I haven’t opened boxes yet and want to make sure I have all the parts needed before I put the boat down to start the project. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-19, 12:09 PM
RE: [CA11] Dual Axiom 9’s, One chart card or two?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tangodelta21,

Like the last several generations of MFDs, Raymarine's current generation of MFDs are designed to interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network (not NMEA 2000, NMEA 0183, SeaTalkng, or SeaTalk). When so interfaced, all system data and resources (including cartography) will be shared among the systems MFDs. As such, a chart card need be inserted only within one of the readers of the system's MFDs. As Axiom MFDs feature a single Ethernet network (RayNet) interface and the system will include more than two devices having an Ethernet network interface (2 MFDs and RD418HD), a HS5 Network Switch will need to be installed. Each MFD and the Digital Radar Cable will accordingly be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Each MFD will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
09-24-19, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

What cable will I need to integrate my Fusion RA 205 FM/AM?
09-24-19, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-19 03:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tangodelta21,

We're getting off topic with this latest questions. The MS-RA205 features a Remote / NMEA 2000 port. According to the MS-RA205's installation guide, Fusion offers the NMEA 2000 Drop Cable (CAB000863) to permit the MS-RA205 to be interfaced to a spur socket within a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The Data Master MFD will additionally be interfaced to a spur socket within this backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a simple backbone may be constructed from Raymarine's NMEA 2000 (SeaTalkng) networking components. As both the Fusion offers the NMEA 2000 Drop Cable and the Axiom MFD's Power/NMEA 2000 Cable are terminated with a DeviceNet (M) plug, this plug will need to be adapted to be mated to a spur socket within the backbone. An A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F) Adapter Cable will typically be used for this purpose. Other adapter options may be found within the FAQ found here. The LightHouse 3 Audio app will then be use to interact with the Fusion stereo.
09-24-19, 05:21 PM
So I cannot interface the MS-RA205 with the Raymarine a80007 HS5? I’ll have to buy multiple adapters, cables and powered backbone to get this to work as advertised?
09-25-19, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-19 12:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tangodelta21,

Q. So I cannot interface the MS-RA205 with the Raymarine a80007 HS5?
A. Correct. Unlike more capable Fusion stereo systems (ex the 7xx Series, etc.), the MS-RA205 does not feature an Ethernet communications interface, which in turn would have then permitted the stereo system to have been interfaced to the HS5 RayNet (Ethernet) Network Switch. The MS-RA205 features a NMEA 2000 communications interface alone and as such must be interfaced to a marine electronics system in the same manner as would any other device which is designed to support NMEA 2000 communications.
09-25-19, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the great info! Looks like I’ll be adding the Fusion to the pile that’s going on Craigslist and Ebay.
09-25-19, 12:04 PM
You're welcome.