Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] auto pilot update
09-26-19, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-19 02:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] auto pilot update
I have an SPX 5 wheel pilot with a P 60. I have just upgraded to an axiom Pro MFD and it seems the two don't talk together well. I was told this pilot would work with the axiom. Can I just replace the ACU and sensor instead of buying the whole EV PKG?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-19, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-19 03:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] auto pilot update
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Mark,

Q1. I have an SPX 5 wheel pilot with a P 60. I have just upgraded to an axiom Pro MFD and it seems the two don't talk together well.
A1. The key to use of a SPX autopilot with an Axiom MFD are to:

1) ensure that the SPX autopilot course computer and any ST70 autopilot control heads have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates prior to interfacing the Axiom MFD to the system. Axiom MFDs are not designed to update the software within SPX autopilots

2) ensure that the SPX autopilot course computer, any ST70 autopilot control heads, and MFD must each be interfaced as individual spurs to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

3) ensure that any ST6xxx, ST7xxx, or ST8xxx autopilot control heads only have been and must be interfaced to the SPX autopilot's SeaTalk port

4) that any other compatible legacy products having a SeaTalk communications interface have been interfaced to the aforementioned powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit(s) and that any such SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update.

5) the SeaTalk bus / compatible legacy SeaTalk device which has been interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is only being powered from the aforementioned backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Should all of the above have been satisfied, then

- the Axiom MFD's Autopilot Controls feature will not be used ... within MFDs running LH3 software, the Autopilot Controls feature is exclusively compatible Evolution autopilots

- ALL control and configuration of the autopilot must be commanded via the autopilot's control head.

- as a result of commanded navigation (ex. Go To Waypoint / Cursor Position, Follow Route), data associated with such navigation will be communicated to the autopilot. The autopilot's control head must be used to command the autopilot into Track mode (as well as Auto and Standby modes).

Q2. Can I just replace the ACU and sensor instead of buying the whole EV PKG?
A2. Negative. If replacing the SPX-5 autopilot course computer, then it would be necessary to install an EV-1 CCU, and ACU-100, and a p70S (to support sailing to wind).
09-27-19, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-19 12:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I apologize as I’m confused. I don’t see any reference to a part called “EV-1 CCU”. In you’re reply there’s no mention of the sensor. I would like to replace the sensor and the ACU. I’m assuming the wheel drive is the same? That leaves the control head. Is the “sail to wind” function the only difference between the two? Can I use the current P70 if I don’t care about that function? Can I do what this with full axiom functionality? Trying to control costs..I almost never use this pilot to sail..tnx
10-01-19, 12:50 PM
Mark,

Q1. I don’t see any reference to a part called “EV-1 CCU”. In you’re reply there’s no mention of the sensor.
A1. Prior generation of Raymarine autopilots combined course computations and actuator control within a single component known as the autopilot's course computer. Evolution autopilots delegate the course computation task (as well as roll, pitch, and heading sensing) into the EV-1 / EV-2 CCUs (Course Computer Units, also referred to as Sensor Cores). Evolution autopilots delegate the actuator control task (as well as rudder sensing) to the ACUs (Actuator Control Units). As mentioned within my initial response, if replacing the SPX-5 autopilot course computer, then it would be necessary to install an EV-1 CCU, and ACU-100 in place of the SPX-5 and to install a p70S (to support sailing to wind) in place of the ST6002 or ST70 autopilot control head which is presently installed onboard. Essentially, these are the components which make up the T70152 EV-100 Wheel Autopilot, minus the wheel drive itself. The part number for the EV-1 CCU (also referred to as the EV-1 Sensor Core) is E70096. The part number for the ACU-100 is E70098. The part number for the p70S autopilot control head is E70328. As these three components are designed to be interfaced as individual spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, additional spur sockets may need to be added to the currently installed backbone should it not feature a sufficient number of unoccupied spur sockets to accommodate these Evolution autopilot components.

Q2. That leaves the control head. Is the “sail to wind” function the only difference between the two? Can I use the current P70 if I don’t care about that function? Can I do what this with full axiom functionality?
A2. You initial inquiry mentioned a "P 60" ... Raymarine has not produced a product having this name. The p70 and p70S autopilot control heads are functional equivalents and provide the same features. The p70S has simply replaced the p70 to provide styling which is consistent with the eS/gS-Series MFDs and Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs.