Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Connecting Axiom Pro 12 to Icom VHF
10-08-19, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-19 12:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Connecting Axiom Pro 12 to Icom VHF
Looking to connect Axiom Pro 12 display to Icom M602 VHF, to provide GPS for the VHF's DSC functionality. What kind of cable and adapter (if applicable) do I need?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-19, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-19 08:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Connecting Axiom Pro 12 to Icom VHF
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ed,

Like the Icom M602 VHF radio, the Axiom Pro MFDs feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface. Should the MFD's internal GPS receiver either be automatically or manually assigned as the system's source for GPS data (i.e. no external GPS sensor (Raystar 150, Raystar 130, etc.) has been interfaced to the system, then it would be recommended that
- the NMEA 0183 OUT+ (yellow) lead of the Axiom Pro MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable be interfaced to the Icom M602 VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN+ lead/terminal (see page 49 of the Icom M602 VHF Radio Owner's Manual; and
- the NMEA 0183 OUT- (brown) lead of the Axiom Pro MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable be interfaced to the Icom M602 VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN- lead/terminal.

If the system has been interfaced to an external GPS sensor, then it would be recommended that an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit would be recommended for this purpose. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. This same option may also be used if the MFD's internal GPS receiver is being used as the system's source for GPS data.
10-19-19, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-19 09:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Follow up questions:
(1) Can I connect the Axiom to the Icom VHF directly, or do I have to go through the "backbone"? I assume directly but just want to be sure.
(2) I have two Axiom Pro 12's. Do I have to connect from the "Master" display or can I connect from the non-master? Reason I ask is that the Master's NMEA 0183 port has already been used.

Thank you, Ed
10-21-19, 09:42 AM
Ed,

Q1. Can I connect the Axiom to the Icom VHF directly, or do I have to go through the "backbone"? I assume directly but just want to be sure.
A1. I believe that you had indicated that you have Axiom Pro MFDs rather than Axiom MFDs. As Axiom Pro MFDs feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, direct connection of the Axiom Pro MFD's NMEA 0183 leads to a VHF radio having a NMEA 0183 communications interface is possible as long as the VHF radio will accept NMEA 0183 sentences featuring the $EC NMEA 0183 talker ID. Regarding the latter, it is recommended that the VHF radio manufacturer be contacted for verification. See my initial response for instructions regarding how to interface the MFD's NMEA 0183 leads to the VHF radio. If not or the system features an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, Raystar 130 GPS sensor), then powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone including an E70196 VHF NMEA 0183 to STng Converter Kit would be used to supply the VHF radio with GPS data.

Q2. I have two Axiom Pro 12's. Do I have to connect from the "Master" display or can I connect from the non-master? Reason I ask is that the Master's NMEA 0183 port has already been used.
A2. The NMEA 0183 of any networked Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD may be used, as long as that MFD will be switched ON whenever the VHF radio will be in use.
10-21-19, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the quick response and good to hear they would be directly connected. Will check w Icom to confirm, per your point. And yes they are Axiom Pros (which I really like by the way - Raymarine has done a nice job w these), Ed
10-21-19, 12:20 PM
You're welcome.