Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Power when interfacing seatalkng to NMEA2000
10-03-19, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-19 04:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Power when interfacing seatalkng to NMEA2000
Hi all,

This topic has been discussed in other threads but I'm just a bit curious on one point.

I've seen somewhere that when interfacing both, a seatalkng network to a NMEA2000 that only one power source should be added to the system ( now comprised of both the seatalkng and NMEA2000) as the adapter cable being used (Seatalkng spur to devicenet adaptor) is able to carry power across it. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Rom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-19, 04:10 PM
RE: [CA11] Power when interfacing seatalkng to NMEA2000
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Rom,

Please note that a SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet Adapter would not be used for this purpose. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components should be networked to a backbone which has been constructed from third party NMEA 2000 networking components featuring DeviceNet sockets. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, care must be taken to ensure that the backbone is being powered from a single 12VDC power insertion spur which is located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.
10-04-19, 07:41 AM
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the answer. Below is an extract from one of the links you provided me:

"Interfacing a product's NMEA 2000 interface to SeaTalkng backbone

Raymarine offers adapters to mate Raymarine and third party products having a NMEA 2000 communications interface (DeviceNet Micro-C ... typically such devices are terminated with a male plug/socke) to a spur socket of a SeaTalkng backbone which has been constructed from Raymarine SeaTalkng networking components. Should the Raymarine or third party product's NMEA 2000 communications port or its NMEA 2000 spur cable feature a DeviceNet (M) or DeviceNet (F) socket or plug, then one the following adapters may be used to interface the product as a spur to a SeaTalkng backbone:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)"

I may have misread but it does suggest using a Seatalkng spur to device net cable to link a seatalkng network to a third party NMEA2000 network?

You have answered my question about the power source, only one power source for the entire network applied at the approximate mid-point.

On a related matter, an MFD will not provide power to a back bone, is this correct? So if the backbone is very small (i.e simply a 5-way connector with 1 spur going to MFD, 1 spur going to i70s, 2 terminators on the extremities) you still need to apply power ( in the example used, power applied to the last remaining spur node available on the 5-way connector)?

Thanks again Chuck.
10-04-19, 07:57 AM
Rom,

The last extract which you posted addresses how the listed adapters may be used to interface the product as a spur to a backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking component. It does not address how two backbones which have been constructed from SeaTalkng and third party NMEA networking components may be interfaced to one another.

Q1. On a related matter, an MFD will not provide power to a back bone, is this correct?
A1. Correct.

Q2. So if the backbone is very small (i.e simply a 5-way connector with 1 spur going to MFD, 1 spur going to i70s, 2 terminators on the extremities) you still need to apply power ( in the example used, power applied to the last remaining spur node available on the 5-way connector)?
A2. Within such a small backbone, the SeaTalkng Power Cable may be plugged into any of the 5-Way Connector's spur (white) sockets.
10-10-19, 10:11 AM
Thanks Chuck
10-10-19, 10:42 AM
You're welcome.