Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrading piece by piece
10-08-19, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-19 01:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrading piece by piece
I am doing an upgrade over a couple of years. So far an E400 autopilot and an Axiom 12 RV. Still to upgrade is a E80, DSM300, B744V, and RD424 radar.

I don't want to haul the boat this year to put in the one of the RV transducers. Is there a way to connect the Axiom 12 to the B744V?

If I put in the second Axiom 12 RV is there a way to use the RD424 radar?

Thanks
Tim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-19, 02:10 PM
RE: [CA11] Upgrading piece by piece
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum tcoop,

DSM30s and DSM300s are not officially supported (i.e. have not been tested and therefore cannot be supported should problems arise) for use with the MFDs running LightHouse 3 software. However, anecdotal feedback from the field has all be positive in indicating that an operational DSM30/300 may successfully used with such systems. Is the currently installed DSM300 operational? If so, the corresponding fishinder performance would equal or exceed that of the system if the B744V is adapted to be mated to the Axiom Pro RV's 1kW Transducer socket. If the DSM300 is operational, then it would simply be recommended that the DSM300 be interfaced via Ethernet (SeaTalkhs / RayNet) communications to either one of the MFD's Ethernet Network (RayNet) sockets or to a system's Ethernet network switch (SeaTalkhs Network Switch, HS5 RayNet Network Switch, SR6). Does the system feature an Ethernet Network Switch? How many MFDs will the system feature?

Regarding the currently installed RD424 radome, please note that this radome is not compatible with any model of Raymarine MFD design which followed the E-Series Classic MFDs (E80, E120). Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how radar may be added to a system of Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs.
10-10-19, 07:59 AM
Thanks Chuck!

Yes the DSM300 is working to the best of my knowledge. No there is not an Ethernet network switch at this time. There will be 2 Axiom 12 RV units and I expect to have Ethernet eventually to support my desire for redundancy.

To test the DSM300, will it plugin directly to the Axiom with the same cable that plugs into the E80 or do I need another cable interface? If the DSM300 wasn't working can the B744V connect to the Axiom albeit with less performance?

Thanks
Tim
10-10-19, 09:09 AM
Tim,

Q1. There will be 2 Axiom 12 RV units and I expect to have Ethernet eventually to support my desire for redundancy.
A1. As resources are shared within a system of Axiom MFDs, there is no need to have more than one Axiom RV MFD within a system unless there is a desire to mount a RV transducer to a trolling motor. As such a cost savings is realized by purchasing Axiom MFDs lacking internal fishfinder sonar for the remaining MFDs within the system. I also generally advise for those who will be fishing deep waters to forgo internal fishinder sonar within any of the MFDs and instead install an external module. In this case, I would recommend that Axiom MFDs lacking internal fishfinder circuitry be installed and that an RVX1000 RealVision Sonar Module in lieu of sonar circuitry within the MFDs. As a side note, if the currently installed transducer's cable has been directly interfaced to the DSM300, then may instead be adapted (A80496) to be mated to the 1kW Transducer socket of the RVX1000. This would then permit the DSM300 and its cabling to be eliminated from the system. This is because the RVX1000 will support being simultaneously interfaced to and produce fishfinder imagery from interfaced RV transducers and transducers which were designed to be directly mated to a DSM30/300

At this point, the proposed system will appear to include four devices supporting Ethernet communications ... two MFDs, radar transducer, and RVX1000 (or DSM300). Unlike Axiom Pro MFDs, Axiom MFDs feature a single Ethernet communications interface, which in turn would permit them to be networked to only one other device having an Ethernet communications interface. This limitation is overcome by installing a HS5 RayNet Network Switch onboard to which each MFD, the Digital Radar Cable, and and RVX1000 (or DSM300) will be interfaced.

Q2. To test the DSM300, will it plugin directly to the Axiom with the same cable that plugs into the E80 or do I need another cable interface?
A2. The SeaTalkhs cable will need to be unplugged from the MFD's SeaTalkhs socket and adapted with an A80160 RayNet (F) to SThs (F) Socket Adaptor Cable.

Q3. If the DSM300 wasn't working can the B744V connect to the Axiom albeit with less performance?
A3. See the response to Q1 addressing the B744V's potential use with a RVX1000 (recommended). Axiom RV MFDs may also be adapted for use with transducers which had been designed for use with a DSM30/300 ... again, I would recommend forgoing installation of a MFD having internal fishfinder sonar for a RVX1000.
10-11-19, 08:05 AM
Chuck,

I will look at changing directions on the MFD and look at the RVX1000.

My first order of business will be to get the adapter cable for the DSM300. That will allow me to move on with the upgrade without hauling the boat. I think the DSM300 may be connected with a crossover Ethernet cable today. Does the A80160 RayNet (F) to SThs (F) Socket Adaptor Cable connect to the crossover cable or directly to the DSM300?

I do expect that I will need to put in an Ethernet switch/network once I am futher along. The first priority was the N2k network for the existing items.

Thank you
Tim
10-11-19, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-19 08:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
tcoop,

Q. My first order of business will be to get the adapter cable for the DSM300. That will allow me to move on with the upgrade without hauling the boat. I think the DSM300 may be connected with a crossover Ethernet cable today. Does the A80160 RayNet (F) to SThs (F) Socket Adaptor Cable connect to the crossover cable or directly to the DSM300?
A. Nothing need change within the currently installed SeaTalkhs cabling assembly from the DSM to the MFD. Simply unplug the SeaTalkhs Cable from the E-Series MFD and then connect the previously specified adapter to the SeaTalkhs Cable's SeaTalkhs (M) plug. The other end of the adapter will then be mated to the Axiom MFD's Ethernet Network socket. Alternatively, the currently installed SeaTalkhs cabling assembly may be replaced by an A80272 RayNet (M) Pins to SThs (M) Socket Adaptor Cable and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.