Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Equipment issues
10-11-19, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-19 02:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Equipment issues
I have the following Raymarine products installed on my 40' Beneteau sailboat:
ST50 Speed; ST60+ Depth; ST60+ Wind (w/ST60 short arm vane xducer);ST60 Multi;
C80 MFD (repaired by Raymarine in 2013);
ST6000+ Autopilot; ST600R; 300 Course Computer; Fluxgate Compass; Rotary Rudder Reference; Reversing Hydraulic Pump Type 2 12V; RS150 GPS Antenna (w/Seatalk1 to Seatalkng converter kit);
RD218 Radome;
Ray218 DSC VHF; Raymic;
AIS500 (w/R62241 GPS Coax Antenna);
Gyroplus2 SHS.

I am having the following issues after having been off of the boat since this past July:

(1) The C80 displays "no AIS". The Ray218 DSC VHF shows no GPS; AIS500 status indicator is green. C80 System diagnostics shows no NMEA sentences received. NMEA sentences are being transmitted. I disconnected the AIS500 and reconnected the NMEA directly to the Ray218 DSC VHF and changed the C80 settings to NMEA 4800. GPS coordinates appear on the Ray 218. C80 System diagnostics shows no NMEA sentences received. NMEA sentences are being transmitted.

(2) The compass heading on the ST6000+ Autopilot and ST600R is ~90° off. I tested the fluxgate per the process described on the Forum and all tests were within 2 ohms. The Forum states that if all tests pass, the problem is with the 300 Course Computer.

Could these problems be related? Would you recommend replacement of the C80 and/or the 300 Course Computer ?

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-19, 02:51 PM
RE: [CA11] Equipment issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum optionsailor,

Q1 The C80 displays "no AIS". The Ray218 DSC VHF shows no GPS; AIS500 status indicator is green. C80 System diagnostics shows no NMEA sentences received. NMEA sentences are being transmitted. I disconnected the AIS500 and reconnected the NMEA directly to the Ray218 DSC VHF and changed the C80 settings to NMEA 4800. GPS coordinates appear on the Ray 218. C80 System diagnostics shows no NMEA sentences received. NMEA sentences are being transmitted.
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Particular attention should be made to ensuring that the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port has been configured for 38400 BAUD AIS communications. If so, then the wraparound test of the MFD's NMEA 0183 port specified therein should be followed.

Q2. The compass heading on the ST6000+ Autopilot and ST600R is ~90° off. I tested the fluxgate per the process described on the Forum and all tests were within 2 ohms.
A2. Testing of the fluxgate compass requires not only that it be tested for resistances, but also for ensuring that the reported heading does not pause in the reported value (would indicate binding) when turning a continuous rate through 360 degrees. Should you not already have done so, the autopilot's compass should be calibrated. Should the maximum deviation detected be greater than nine degrees and should no objects capable of producing a magnetic field be located within three feet of the fluxgate compass, the the autopilot's compass should be aligned. Should the problem persist thereafter, and the autopilot feature a gyro, then the gyro's cable should be unplugged from the autopilot's processor board and the compass should be aligned once more. The autopilot will simply perform as a non-gyro assisted autopilot if found to be faulty. Should the problem persist thereafter, then the autopilot course computer may indeed be in need of replacement. However, should the fluxgate compass be fairly old, it would be recommended that the course computer be tested with a new fluxgate compass as a last testing measure (again calibrate and align).

Q3. Could these problems be related?
A3. Not likely.

Q4. Would you recommend replacement of the C80 and/or the 300 Course Computer ?
A4. Not before addressing the items listed above.
10-12-19, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-19 08:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

(1)The MFD's NMEA 0183 Port had been configured for 38400 BAUD AIS communications. The C80 passed the wraparound test. Does this indicate I have an AIS500 NMEA problem?

(2) A new fluxgate has been oredered. I will test the course computer with the new fluxgate compass after calibration and alignment.
10-14-19, 08:31 AM
optionsailor,

Q1. The MFD's NMEA 0183 Port had been configured for 38400 BAUD AIS communications. The C80 passed the wraparound test. Does this indicate I have an AIS500 NMEA problem?
A1. It would indeed appear that the AIS500 has suffered a failure within its NMEA 0183 communication circuitry if the wraparound test proved that the MFD's NMEA 0183 port was operational and if the AIS500 had been properly interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable and no data NMEA 0183 sentences were received from the AIS500. I generally recommend that the MFD be configured to monitor only received RX sentences and that the buffer be monitored for approximately 10 minutes.

Q2. A new fluxgate has been oredered. I will test the course computer with the new fluxgate compass after calibration and alignment.
A2. Noted. In the future, please restrict threads to a single topic. Thank in advance.