Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] 2002 Era Electronics Integration To Sea Talk ng Radar & e125 MFD
11-29-19, 01:26 PM
RE: [CA11] 2002 Era Electronics Integration To Sea Talk ng Radar & e125 MFD
Chuck, Team,

Verification question:

I wasn't sure if the ST 1 to ng bus required power to allow communication between devices or, that power was used to run the devices.

Q1: Does the SeaTalk 1 to ng Converter E22158 have to be powered by the red and black cable if all components, in my case one depth finer, have their own source of power?

Pictures of the new installation will be posted upon completion. Thank you in advance.

Walter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-19, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-19 01:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Walter,

As indicated within my earlier response and the FAQ found here, the devices on the SeaTalk bus should be disconnected from their present source of power and will instead be powered via the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalkng backbone will in turn be powered via the SeaTalkng Power Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. In very simply systems, such as may be the case with yours, the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone may consist of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter alone.
12-27-19, 08:36 AM
Chuck and Forum Contributors,

This has been a fantastic testament to the longevity of Raymarine equipment and products as well as a great learning experience. My knowledge of the older era equipment as well as newer has grown leaps and bounds. Finally decided to retire the Sea Ray Navigator and go a little newer with all the displays/instruments. After reading the forum posts and making some smart purchases, made the final config changes to my design and have a few clarifying questions on best practice. The only legacy products will be the 150G course computer and Ray240 VHF.

New Config:

e125 MFD
e95 MDF
Older 150G Course Computer
P70R Control Head
i50 Depth
Ray240

Similar to the original suggestion; I plan to connect the P70R and i50 directly to the 150G's SeaTalk connections via a A06047 cable as stated in a previous article. The e125 will get heading info from the 150G via one of its NMEA out + - connections. Would I create a SeaTalk ng bus to connect the MFD's and the i50 or is there another way? Thanks in advance.

Walter
12-27-19, 10:13 AM
Walter,

General note: Please note that the e-Series MFDs ended several years ago. As such, and should you not already have purchased the remanufactured e-Series MFDs, then you may find it a challenge to locate them within the marketplace. Should you be able to locate these MFDs, then please additionally note that the sunset for Raymarine's ability to repair these MFDs is not far off. Alternatively, a pair of Axiom Pro S MFDs (specifically Axiom Pro 9 S and Axiom Pro 12 S) should be considered for this application. With regard to interfacing the Axiom Pro MFDs to the system, the process is essentially the same as would be undertaken to interface the e-Series MFDs to the legacy products.

As you have suggested, the NMEA 0183 Port 1 output of the autopilot course computer should be interfaced to one of the MFD's NMEA 0183 input ports (Port 2 recommended) and that NMEA 0183 Port of the MFD will need to be configured for 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications (NMEA 4800).

The best installation practice would be for the Data Master MFD, and i50 instrument to be interfaced as spurs to the backbone, while the p70RS (the p70 and p70R have not been produced in several years) will need to be interfaced to the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port to support powering the autopilot control head and communications with the autopilot course computer. The second SeaTalk port will be connected to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
12-28-19, 12:29 AM
Chuck,

Thank you, yet again. Due to our boat being a 2002, my goal (and promise to my wife) was to balance getting newer tech functionality with economy. In that quest I was able to acquire gently used e125 and e95's as well as brand new unopened i50 depth and P70R to match the design motif. This will give me the updated functionality I wanted, add a little value for resale and keep me married to the woman of my dreams.

Q.. The only device I'm still not sure of the connection to/for is the second MFD. In my case the e95. Does this connect to the e125 via raynet or something, or, just to the network as a spur? If they are all spur's, it looks like I will need to get a Raymarine A06064 Sea Talk-Ng 5-Way Connector Block to accommodate. 2 SeaTalk ng ports and 1 SeaTalk port on the converter will connect the 150G, i50 and one display. The second display and power will need to be on the block or T's, correct?
12-30-19, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-19 09:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Walter,

Congratulations on being able to locate these legacy e-Series MFDs. I operate several of them on my own boat and LightHouse II v19.03 software is a very good and reliable software version for these MFDs. As I have indicated within this Forum, when operating with LightHouse II software it is recommended that the Navionics Sonar Logging feature be configured OFF within the Chart application's settings whenever not actively engaged in recording sonar data in support of the SonarChart Live feature.

Q1. The only device I'm still not sure of the connection to/for is the second MFD. In my case the e95. Does this connect to the e125 via raynet or something, or, just to the network as a spur?
A1. All compatible MFDs, fishfinder sonar modules, radar transducers (except for non-wired Quantum & Quantum 2 radomes), thermal cameras, and IP cameras are to be interface to one another or to the system's HS5 RayNet Network Switch via Ethernet communications (i.e. an an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable, Digital Radar Cable, or Quantum Data Cable). The system's Data Master MFD will be interfaced as a spur to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The Data Master MFD will share all system data with the system's other MFDs via Ethernet communications.

Q2. If they are all spur's, it looks like I will need to get a Raymarine A06064 Sea Talk-Ng 5-Way Connector Block to accommodate. 2 SeaTalk ng ports and 1 SeaTalk port on the converter will connect the 150G, i50 and one display. The second display and power will need to be on the block or T's, correct?
A2. N/A See the response to Q1.
12-31-19, 08:41 PM
Chuck,

Happy New Year!!!

I really think I'm pretty good to go now. This forum and your advice have been invaluable. This is our first "big" boat. Owning this beautiful dream come true can certainly pose certain challenges for the weary or uninformed. An older boat can be a steal, or, steal your time and money. We're very excited to go into our first full season with "ZHOPKA" and her updated Raymarine electronics. I'll post the finished project pictures in mid Feb after i've completed the update.

In a previous post, you state: Autopilot Control Head will be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus or directly to the autopilot course computer via an A06047 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng to SeaTalk Adapter Cable or A06073 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng to SeaTalk Adapter Cable.

Q1. Some of the A06047/A06073 cables I've seen, as advertised anyway, have what appear to be SeaTalk 1 to white SeaTalk ng ends. Some have SeaTalk 1 to Yellow SeaTalk ng type ends (like the one that came in my converter kit). This cable pictured is being advertised as an A06073 1M cable. Does it look like the proper cable to connect the P70R to the 150G? Plan to plug yellow end into the P70R and cut/strip end of SeaTalk 1 side to connect to 150G SeaTalk block's R, Y, Screen for P70R data and power. I'll use same PN cable to connect second SeaTalk block to yellow port on converter. Is this correct?

Cheers,

Walter

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-02-20, 09:55 AM
Walter,

Q1. Some of the A06047/A06073 cables I've seen, as advertised anyway, have what appear to be SeaTalk 1 to white SeaTalk ng ends. Some have SeaTalk 1 to Yellow SeaTalk ng type ends (like the one that came in my converter kit). This cable pictured is being advertised as an A06073 1M cable. Does it look like the proper cable to connect the P70R to the 150G?
A1. Aside from cable length, the only difference between the A06047/A06073 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cables referenced and the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit is the color of the SeaTalkng spur plug used within the cable's construction. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit is simply color coded to assist installers in identifying the socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to which the cable should be connected.

Q2. Plan to plug yellow end into the P70R and cut/strip end of SeaTalk 1 side to connect to 150G SeaTalk block's R, Y, Screen for P70R data and power. I'll use same PN cable to connect second SeaTalk block to yellow port on converter. Is this correct?
A2. I suspect that the vendor posted an incorrect photo, as the A06047/A06073 cables are both terminated with a white SeaTalkng spur plug. However, as indicated above, it should not matter whether the cable has been terminated with a white spur plug or yellow SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter plug.
01-28-20, 10:08 PM
Chuck,

Thank you so very much for all the advice and technical info on my project. I installed the last of the components today and have what appears to be great success...

As promised, here are pictures of the install. Old pictures further back in the post.
Unless I've totally screwed it up, I'll close out this thread.

Cheers everyone.

Walter
01-29-20, 11:20 AM
You're welcome.