Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] E7 doesn’t work right
10-15-19, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-19 10:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] E7 doesn’t work right
I’m starting a new thread as the last one occupied nearly 3 pages with redundant posts regarding connectivity. My E7 clearly is not working properly. Wind and current vectors fail to show. I cannot change my presentation with any of the selections as it reverts back to the same choices irrespective of what I pick. As I had indicated in my previous post, this all began in the spring when I first turned my radar on. The unit has not worked properly since. earlier today I reinstalled updates which did not affect or resolve the problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-19, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-19 08:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] E7 doesn’t work right
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Aldo,

Should the vectors not be displayed or the chart not be offset/oriented properly then it would be recommended that a new Data application page featuring six data cells be created (HOME->DATA->MENU->CUSTOMIZE->CREATE NEW PAGE) and configured to display the following items:
- Apparent Wind (AWA & AWS)
- Speed (through water (not to be confused with SOG)
- Heading (not to be confused with COG)
- True Wind (TWA & TWS)
- Vessel Position
- COG SOG
The above listed data items will be used to determine whether the system is satisfying the requirements for features requiring some or all of these data items. Should a data item's reported value be reported as dashes (ex. -.-, ---, etc.) then the MFD is not receiving the corresponding data item from an external (or potentially internal in the case of GPS data) data source.

As indicated during our phone conversation, I strongly suspect that the MFD is not receiving one or more of the data items required to display the vectors and to configure a boat icon offset within the MFD's Chart application.

The Wind Vector within a MFD running LightHouse II software not an apparent wind vector, but is instead a True Wind vector. Unlike Raymarine's wind instruments which require only apparent wind speed, apparent wind direction, and a speed through water (Speed), MFDs running LightHouse II v19.03 software additionally require heading and vessel position to display the Wind Vector. The latter two data items are associated with the positioning and orientation of the Wind vector. Accordingly, should any of the following data item report dashes for its value, then the Wind vector will not be displayed:
- Apparent Wind (AWA & AWS)
- True Wind (TWA & TWS)
- Vessel Position

The Tide vector is the Vector sum of the boat's over ground vector (SOG x COG) and through water vector (Speed (through water) and Heading). SOG, COG, speed through water (Speed), heading, and vessel position are required for the MFD to display the Tide vector. The latter two data items are associated with the positioning and orientation of the Tide vector. Accordingly, should any of the following data item report dashes for its value, then the Tide vector will not be displayed:
- Vessel Position
- COG SOG

With regard to Chart orientation and chart offset, heading and vessel position are required by a stationary vessel to support Head Up Chart orientation and vessel icon offset features. In the absence of these data items, the Chart application will revert to North Up and display the vessel's position as a black dot when the vessel's SOG drops below 2kts. It will also not be possible to configure the MFD with a Chart orientation or vessel icon offset when the vessel is stationary or making way at less than 2kts. Accordingly, should any of the following data items report dashes for its value, then the Chart orientation or vessel icon offset will not be supported when the vessel is stationary or making way at less than 2kts:
- Vessel Position
Please additionally verify that the Chart Synch feature has been configured OFF within each instance of the Chart application, changes to the Chart orientation and offset will be blocked when this feature has been configured ON.

I additionally indicated that I would provide the command sequence for resetting the MFD's settings: HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->SYSTEM SETTINGS & DATA RESET.
10-17-19, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-19 02:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Photos attached.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-17-19, 02:15 PM
Aldo,

Thanks for attaching screen snapshot. Unfortunately, the custom page which I had requested that you create was not among your photos. The reason for requesting such was to have one single Data panel in which all of the supporting data items may be viewed. While the photos of the Data application show most of the data items which I had been seeking, the Speed data item was not among them. As indicated within my initial response, the Speed (through water) data items is critical to displaying the vectors.

The data items which your screen shots show should support chart orientation and vessel icon offset require. Please note that the changes to the vessel icon offset will commonly not be apparent unless the vessel is moving.
10-17-19, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-19 02:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
This just in from my mechanic...

Me; “The boat speed sensor also doesn’t appear to be giving any data.”

Him: “This is because the new speed / depth /water temperature sender isn't wired into the system yet.”

Having said this, this does not explain why the vectors haven’t worked all season before he had changed out the old sensor. Also, we sailed in over the weekend and the partial offset and course presentations would not save, while we were under way
10-17-19, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-19 02:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Aldo,

Q. this does not explain why the vectors haven’t worked all season before he had changed out the old sensor.
A. I believe that I and my counterpart in the UK have sufficiently explained the math and prerequisites for displaying these vectors ... your system is not displaying the speed data item as indicated and should the speed sensing (or one of the other prerequisite data items have not been available at the time) then these vectors will not be rendered ... period. Upon replacement of the speed/temp transducer should the problem persist, then I recommend that you create the custom data page per my earlier responses and verify that all data items have been populated. If so (take a photo of the custom data page) and the vectors are not being rendered, then it would be recommended that the aforementioned system settings and data reset be performed.

You are welcome to send the MFD to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench tested. However, I believe that they will find no fault found when interfaced to sources of data corresponding to the data items referenced earlier.

Regarding the partial offsets, please verify that the MFD has been configured for Head Up orientation, not Course Up.
10-17-19, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-19 07:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
My mechanic can't make it out to finish attaching the speed sensor for two weeks. I will look at the data page you had sent me earlier and check it over the weekend. If I understood you correctly in your last post, this speed sensor would NOT explain why the views aren't saving?
10-18-19, 08:19 AM
Aldo,

Q. If I understood you correctly in your last post, this speed sensor would NOT explain why the views aren't saving?
A. Correct. However, please verify that the Chart Synch feature has been configured OFF within each instance of the Chart application. Chart orientation/offset changes will be blocked if this feature has been configured ON. After orientation/offset changes have been commanded, then this feature may be switched ON again and the setting should be persistent.

Additionally, should the MFD have heading & position inputs and should the instance of the Chart application being viewed be configured to Head Up (not Course Up) chart orientation, then the chart will be oriented to Head Up when the vessel is stationary or underway. In the past, should there have been and issue with the autopilot, then one of the required data items for orienting the chart with stationary or maneuvering vessel, i.e. heading, may not have been available to the MFD.

Finally, as indicated within my last response, you should additionally verify that each instance of the Chart application has been configured to Head Up, not Course Up, chart orientation. This setting should then be retained between power cycles as long as the autopilot (the likely heading source within your system) is powered ON at the same time that the MFD is powered ON. As indicated the offset setting will be retained between power cycles, but commonly requires that the vessel be underway to then respond to the offset setting.

Should the problem persist and should you have verified the above, then it would be recommended that the aforementioned system settings and data reset be performed. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it may indicate a problem within the MFD's memory which is responsible for recording these settings and it would then be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
05-22-20, 02:50 PM
Well, it is fully and properly integrated with the new instruments and still not functioning properly. I think we will need to be on the phone while I'm in front of it. Is there a number that I can call that is a direct line? I can't call from a cell phone aboard and be passed through the red tape system.

Kindly advise.
05-26-20, 10:46 PM
Hello dcneuro,

Product Support numbers are currently either diverted to Team Members working from home or to a call center with very limited staffing so there are no direct numbers to call and get someone immediately.

It's not indicated where you are located to be able to guide you to the best phone number.

USA Support - 1-800-539-5539
Our Nashua, New Hampshire USA support center is open from 8:15 AM to 5:00 PM (Eastern), Monday through Friday

UK Support - 44-1329-246-777 - Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM UTC time

Australia Support - 61-2-9877-0300 -Monday to Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific EST time

Other locations can be found via an internet search

Happy boating and kind regards
Jules