Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Type 3 Hydraulic Drive
10-29-19, 02:22 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-19 07:06 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Type 3 Hydraulic Drive
The only original electronic component left aboard after 20 years, is the Type 3 Hydraulic drive for the autopilot. After approximately 52,000 NM which I beleive equates to something over 325,000 hours of operation the seal on the ram appears to be leaking to the point where the pilot can not deliver enough pressure to hold a course. No complaints on my part.
However we are now sailing in Australia, and I am told that it will take a minimum of three weeks to get a replacement drive unit. That seems a bit excessive as most everything travelling between either the US or England does so by air. So my question's are; is the three weeks a real time frame? (We are sailing south along the east coast of AU in order to avoid their cyclone season) Alternatively, could a good hydraulics shop repair the drive. I am assuming it is the seal around the shaft but not sure.
Thanks
Larry Green
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-19, 07:12 AM
RE: [DG11] Type 3 Hydraulic Drive
Hi Larry,

Thank you for your enquiry.
I am afraid I am not involved in shipping product around the world, but it could possibly be conceivable that the time taken could amount to weeks, it just depends on the local delivery systems and logistics. The 12v T3 Hydraulic linear drive units are currently in our main stock here in the UK.

With regards to possible repair, any competent hydraulic company should be able to strip the ram and replace the seals, this issue is just to make sure they have the correct size seals.

If however the leak is caused by a worn shaft for example or worn bypass valve seats, then it is likely a replacement will be needed.

Regards
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply