Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade E80 MFDs and Pathfinder Radar Integration
11-08-19, 03:22 PM
RE: [CA11] Upgrade E80 MFDs and Pathfinder Radar Integration
I would like to connect both a RMK-10 and a Quantum Q24D to a standalone Axiom 9. I prefer to connect the radar with a data cable and not rely solely on wifi.

Do I need a network switch?

I have an existing (2005) Seatalk High Speed Switch with RJ45 cable connections that was abandoned in place. Can that be used and if I do use it would that be considered a reliable solution.

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-19, 04:32 PM
R2Straebel,

Q1. Do I need a network switch?
A1. yes. As Axiom MFDs feature only one Ethernet communications interface, an Ethernet network switch is required if more than two compatible devices having an Ethernet (SeaTalkhs, RayNet, RJ45) communications interface are to be networked.

Q2. I have an existing (2005) Seatalk High Speed Switch with RJ45 cable connections that was abandoned in place. Can that be used and if I do use it would that be considered a reliable solution.
A2. As long as the SeaTalkhs Network Switch is operational and is showing no signs of corrosion of its RJ45 sockets, then the answers to your questions would be yes and yes respectively.
11-09-19, 09:19 AM
My STLKng backbone 5-way connector block is about 9 feet from my Axiom 9. The Micro-C DeviceNet pigtail on the MFD power cord is 2 feet long and the longest Micro-C DeviceNet to STLKng Adaptor Cable is 1 meter long (A06075) so i end up about 4 feet short.

I did not find either a spur cable union/coupling/joiner to extend the STLKng spur cable or a DeviceNet C cable extender to extend the pigtail.

Do you have a suggestion to extend this spur connection or do I need to reconfigure my backbone?

Thank you.
11-09-19, 08:33 PM
R2Straebel,

Q. Do you have a suggestion to extend this spur connection or do I need to reconfigure my backbone?
A. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In this case, an A06082 SeaTalkng (M) to DeviceNet (F) Adaptorj and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable would be recommended. The maximum total cable length of a spur should not exceed 6m.