Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Heading sensor for radar overlay
11-06-19, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-19 10:32 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Heading sensor for radar overlay
I purchased and will be installing an Axiom 9 (not pro) and quantum radar, and I want to buy compatible heading sensor. I saw on this forum that the GA-150 is compatible with Axiom PROs and will directly plug in, is this the case with a regular Axiom, not a PRO? And will it plug in or is it a NMEA 2000 connection, do I need additional parts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-19, 10:40 AM
RE: [DG11] Heading sensor for radar overlay
Hi Lshulan,
Thank you for your enquiry

The GA150 is an external GPS antenna which can be connected to an AXIOM PRO to improve it's GPS performance in cases where the AXIOM PRO will not be in a good position to receive reliable GPS position information - for example below decks in a Steel vessel.
So the GA150 will not provide heading data to the AXIOM, it will only provide COG data which is not the most accurate data source for radar overlay.

The best source of data for heading to give you reliable and stable heading would be either an EV1 heading sensor or an AR200 Clearcruise AR sensor. Either of these can be connected via STng to the AXIOM and will give accurate heading data to support the radar overlay feature.

I hope this helps?
Regards
Derek
11-07-19, 01:48 PM
Your answer helps out a lot, saves me from buying the wrong parts. I’m considering buying the ev100 autopilot, so the sensor that comes with its, would satisfy my heading requirements for a more accurate display when overlaying radar on the axiom 9?
11-08-19, 09:40 AM
Dear Lshulan,

Thank you for your post.

The EV1 is the recommended heading sensor for radar overlay for Raymarine systems.

Many Thanks
Louise
12-16-19, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-19 10:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
In an older post on this forum, the Raymarine moderator (Chuck) said: “Other heading sources include the retired ST60+ Instrument Compass, Pathfinder Smart Heading System, and third party NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 GPS Compasses and magnetic heading sensors.” So besides the EV1, as the reply states, would any NMEA2000 GPS compass or NMEA 2000 magnetic heading sensor work? If so, can you elaborate on how this gets set up on the Axiom 9 (not Pro)?
12-20-19, 10:12 AM
Dear Lshulan,

Thank you for your post.

For radar overlay the smart heading sensor would need to be 10hertz. If it is a NMEA2000 heading sensor, this would connect to the backbone on a spur cable. Always follow the manufacturers instructions for installation.

If you only have 1 heading sensor in the system the Axiom will default to this. If you have multiple heading sensors you can select your desired heading sensor in the master data source menu. If there is an EV1 in the system the Axiom will always prioritise this as the chosen heading source.

HOMESCREEN> SETTINGS> NETWORK> DATA SOURCES> HEADING - a search will be conducted for all heading sensors and you can select the desired on here.

Many Thanks
Louise