Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Axiom 9RV 3D Depth
10-31-19, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 08:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Axiom 9RV 3D Depth
I have an Axiom 9RV. The realvision 3D depth has a problem finding the bottom when the depth is greater than about 650'. I have a pair of RV-320 20 degree transducers. I was expecting to be able to read to about 1000'.
Is there a way to be able to read the top 300' or so regardless of the actual depth even though the instrument can't find the actual bottom? I would like to be able to find fish in this upper region. also, how would I add a CP370 with a 1KW transducer to be able to read to 500'?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-19, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 08:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [TG11] Axiom 9RV 3D Depth
Hello donaldreeder,

Quote:The realvision 3D depth has a problem finding the bottom when the depth is greater than about 650'. I have a pair of RV-320 20 degree transducers. I was expecting to be able to read to about 1000'.

Depending on which channel you're using (3D, SideVision, DownVision or Chirp Sonar) you'll get different deep-water results but 650' is pretty reasonable for that transducer type. 900' is the absolute perfect-conditions maximum for the Chirp Sonar channel which gives the best depth performance.

Quote:Is there a way to be able to read the top 300' or so regardless of the actual depth even though the instrument can't find the actual bottom? I would like to be able to find fish in this upper region.

Yes, just go to manual Range (in the menu on the fishfinder page) and range to 300'. You may get an incorrect depth reading if there's something within that range to get a strong echo off - bait, thermocline - but otherwise should work fine.

Quote:how would I add a CP370 with a 1KW transducer to be able to read to 500'?

You can attach any current sounder module, including CP370, to the Axiom's Raynet network port. You shouldn't need 1kw to reach 500' though - a 600W transducer should do that with no problems. A CP370/1kW will give the following advantages:
- better sharpness and clarity through the higher-quality transducer
- better sensitivity to smaller/weaker targets in deep water
- retaining the use of the current Chirp Sonar channel (if you were to use a 600W transducer, e.g. P66, connected to the Axiom via a Y-cable then that would repurpose and take over the current Chirp Sonar channel and divert it to the 600W, 50/200kHz transducer.)

I hope this makes sense,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
11-07-19, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 08:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tom,
Can you please clarify the statement "if you were to use a 600W transducer, e.g. P66, connected to the Axiom via a Y-cable then that would repurpose and take over the current Chirp Sonar channel and divert it to the 600W, 50/200kHz transducer."

I have the Axiom 9 Pro RVX so not sure if that makes a difference.
I am using the RV-100 RealVisionâ„¢ 3D Transom Mount Transducer and a P66 adapted to be mated to the MFD's 1kW Transducer socket by using the A80496 Transducer Adapter Cable to get speed through water and a 50/200kHz transducer.
I create windows selecting the transducer that I would like to use and what other information I want displayed in the window. eg. Chirp sonar with SOG,STW and COG or P66 50 HZ sonar with SOG, STW and COG.

So I am no longer seeing the Chirp sonar image when I select the RV-100 transducer with the P66 connected to the MFD's 1kW Transducer socket by using the A80496 Transducer Adapter Cable ?

As it was never stated when I asked questions in an earlier post on the forum about system configurations.
11-10-19, 01:53 AM
Hello lwilson,

Axiom RV and Axiom Pro RVX have different sounder capabilities, and one of the differences is that Axiom Pro can use all of the channels of both transducers: Axiom RV is not quite so flexible. The original poster said he had Axiom RV and he would lose his RV transducer's Sonar channel in connecting a 600W Airmar transducer via a Y-cable: the same sounder circuitry that would have used the RV's Sonar element is instead used for the 600W transducer.

Since you have a Pro RVX, you can use any channel from an Airmar transducer (600W or 1kW, non-Chirp or Chirp) as long as it has a CP370-style 8-pin or CP470-style 11-pin connector. One limitation that you have with your Pro RVX is that you cannot use 7-pin 'MFD-direct' style transducers. This isn't a problem - as these transducers are lower-performance than the equivalent CP370-style, unbalanced versus balanced - but something for anyone else reading this thread to be aware of.

Short answer: no, your Pro RVX does indeed make a difference.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.