Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Autohelm AP into NMEA2000 integration
11-04-19, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-19 04:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Autohelm AP into NMEA2000 integration
Hello everyone,

I am trying to get a simple solution to the automation project I have. I recently purchased a Bayliner 4388 that came with the Autohelm AP unit. The lower helm has the ST6000 and the upper helm has the St7000 unit.

I know of people doing the E22158 converter from ST1 to STng network and then patching that into the NMEA2000 but that's difficult for 2 reasons.

#1 the AP computer is tucked away in an inaccessible place where only my 7 year old son can get to... I'm 6'3 and 300lbs, there's no way for me to get in there.
#2 this is the only ST device I have, everything else is NMEA2000

So my thought is to use a Rose Point NEMO box that I have at the helm and use the 3 prong cable in the back for NMEA0183 connection. I assume the cables are common negative, NMEA0183 IN + and NMEA0183 OUT +. If that's correct I can patch into the cable, while maintaining connectuon from control has to the unit, and lead the patch cables to the appropriate inputs on NEMO box.

The other option would be to use the two pin connector on the back of the ST6000 unit that is what I assume A NMEA0183 interface with no negative.

I don't know what version of the AP computer I have. All I could find is the model 165P08... I think.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Ships n Giggles crew
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-19, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-19 08:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Autohelm AP into NMEA2000 integration
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Shipsngiggles,

Unfortunately, this long retired autopilot is no longer supported. Autopilot designs such as this preceded those which are supported for use with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Should either of the autopilot control heads feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface (I was unable to verify this from Raymarine's available online documentation), then you may want to try using this interface to in turn connect s third party chartplotting product which also supports NMEA 0183 communications. Finally, this autopilot may support a version of NMEA 0183 earlier than v2.0.
11-09-19, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-19 08:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Without getting to the AP computer itself, is there a way to find out what version of the AP this really is?

Thanks
11-09-19, 08:40 PM
Shipsngiggles,

Q. Without getting to the AP computer itself, is there a way to find out what version of the AP this really is?
A. Negative.
11-09-19, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-19 09:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
It seems that the AP is the Autohelm Type 100. If my research is correct the Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG converter will not work because the Seatalk version on this unit is too old. Based on the documentation I found it is recommended to use a NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 device and then use NMEA200 to SeatalkNG converter if one wants to go that route. For me, that is not necessary as all I was trying to do is connect my Rose Point Nemo box to the AP for navigation.

That being said, considering that the data speed is 4800bps can I just use regular two twisted pairs phone line cable to connect these?

Thanks.
11-12-19, 09:12 AM
Shipsngiggles,

Q1. If my research is correct the Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG converter will not work because the Seatalk version on this unit is too old.
A1. Correct.

Q2. Based on the documentation I found it is recommended to use a NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 device and then use NMEA200 to SeatalkNG converter if one wants to go that route. For me, that is not necessary as all I was trying to do is connect my Rose Point Nemo box to the AP for navigation. That being said, considering that the data speed is 4800bps can I just use regular two twisted pairs phone line cable to connect these?
A2. Should the Rosepoint NMEA Gateway owned feature NMEA 0183 ports, then the Type 100 autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 port may be interfaced to one set of the NMEA 0183 listener ports of Rosepoint NMEA Gateway. Common household wire should not be used within marine applications. It is recommended that marine grade twisted pair signal cable be used in interfacing these products. The latter connection would support communications of navigational data from the PC based navigation system to the autopilot.