Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[JB] [JB11] Dragonfly 4 pro GPS positioning very poor
11-07-19, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 12:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[JB11] Dragonfly 4 pro GPS positioning very poor
Hi there
I recently purchased a Rib which came with the fishfinder mentioned above.
On first use I discovered that the GPS position was approximately 400metre off location.
I also noted that the mapping had virtually no detail in it to match my present position.

As the GPS appeared to be picking up most of the satellites for a good fix, I could not under stand why it was so far off locations. I used my mobile to determine that is was approximately 30's off in it's LAT and LONG positioning.

I thought maybe it needed a firmware update or something similar,?
Can anyone suggest why the positioning is completely off and why would the mapping be lacking any sort of detail to the point of beening pretty unusable?

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-19, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 12:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [JB11] Dragonfly 4 pro GPS positioning very poor
Hi kiwi_ferg,

Welcome to the Raymarine forum

Please attach a photo of your issue for us to look at.

Check that you have a chart card inserted in the unit and the correct type of chart selected - ei C-Map or Navionics. No chart card in the unit will certainly give those sort of issues.

Kind regards
Jules
12-13-19, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-19 01:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for waiting please find attached 6 photo's of my Dragonfly 4 pro.

unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the Navigation Screen but can confirm it was lacking in everything but the most basic of Map detail.

The Dragonfly GPS screen positioned my boat on land and not in the 500m wide river that I was navigating. visually it had positioned by boat approximately 400m off location.

any help you could offer would be appreciated

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-13-19, 01:37 PM
kiwi_ferg,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. When the coordinates of the Dragonfly display were compared with those of the second GPS, should the second GPS have been verified to be reporting the correct position and should the Dragonfly display have been installed in a location affording an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it would unfortunately appear that the Dragonfly display has suffered a failure of its internal GPS receiver. Dragonfly displays are no longer being produced by Raymarine and have been replaced by Element displays. Dragonfly displays carried a one year manufacturer's warranty. It is recommended that our UK Product Repair Center be contacted to determine whether they can still render repairs to Dragonfly 4 Pro displays.

Regarding charts, the Dragonfly display is dependent upon a LightHouse, Navionics, or C-Map chart card to be present within the display's memory card reader and as such chart cards do not contain cartography for the entire world, must contain cartography for the geographic area of operation. The box of your Dragonfly display indicates that the package contained a C-Map Essentials chart card for Europe. What type of chart card, if any, is inserted within your Dragonfly display and what geographic area is supported by the chart card?
12-14-19, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-19 09:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
In response to your question's I have attached photo's of the SD card supplied with the GPS device, I have also included photo's of the SD card files.
In one of your reply's you have indicated that a Map file must be selected, up to now I have assumed the unit would select its own file assuming there was only one to select. During my limited use of the device I have not noticed any point in the menu directory in which to select a map, maybe this is the issue?

I was told that the original owner of the GPS was located in Scotland while I am using the device in Wales, which is approximately 400miles further south from Scotland.
I'm also assuming that as the Map is named ' Europe C-Essentials- DGF ' that it should cover most if not all of the United Kingdom.

once again thanks for your assistance

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-19-19, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-19 09:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
kiwi_ferg,

When using the display, the chart card must be present within the display's memory card reader. C-Map Cartography selection within Dragonfly 4/5/7 Pro displays is accomplished via the command sequence OK->CHART SETTINGS->OK->CHART SELECTION->OK->C-MAP 4D: NAVIGATION CHART->OK. Detailed information on this subject may be found within Chapter 9.10: Chart selection of the Dragonfly-4, Dragonfly-5, Dragonfly-7 & Wi-Fish Installation and operation instructions. Following selection of C-Map 4D cartography, the Chart application should be used to determine whether any detailed cartography is visibe. If not, then it would be recommended that the Chart application be re-centered on area in which it had been used by its previous owner in case the owner reconfigured the C-Map chart card with local data rather than the regional data with which it had been originally populated. Should no detailed charts be visible, then it would indicated a fault with the chart card or fault with the display's memory card reader. The display's memory card reader may be tested by using the display's screen capture feature shown within the Chapter 7.7 Shortcuts page (accessed by a quick press of the display's POWER button) of the Dragonfly-4, Dragonfly-5, Dragonfly-7 & Wi-Fish Installation and operation instructions. Should the display report that it was successful in saving the screen's image, then the display's memory card reader would be deemed operational and therefore indicate an issue with the chart card (either conversion to a Local card by its owner or a failure of the chart card).