Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Help designing new system for large center console
10-04-19, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-19 09:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Help designing new system for large center console
I just ordered a new system for a large center console and want to make sure I am ordering the most up to date equipment for offshore navigation and fishing. Any feedback would be appreciated as it is not too late to change.

2 Axiom XL 19”
Magnum 12kw open array with 6’ antenna
Evolution autopilot Ev400 with type 2 pump for triple application
CP570 with a pm111 LHW 2kw transducer
RVX-1000 with an Rv200 transducer
Rmk10 key pad
FLIR M232 camera
2 CAM220 cameras
Seatalk

Any suggestions on if I am missing anything or changes you would suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-19, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-19 10:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Help designing new system for large center console
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mig888,

Congrats on the decision to move forward with a new system. The equipment list which you have created indeed looks quite good. Given the number of devices featuring an Ethernet communications interface, the system will require a HS5 RayNet Switch, as the MFDs alone do not have a sufficient number of Ethernet Network (RayNet) sockets to accommodate interfacing the total number of devices featuring an Ethernet communications interface. I take it that the CAM220 IP marine cameras will be mounted to the underside of a hard top? Finally, the Data Master MFD will need to be interfaced to a spur socket within the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which will network the Evolution autopilot components to one another. Should the ACU400 be used to power the backbone, then the backbone supplied with the autopilot should feature a sufficient number of spur sockets to then connect the Data Master MFD to the backbone. However, should you elect to power the backbone from a dedicated switched circuit (this is considered to be a best installation practice for larger SeaTalkng networks), then an additional spur socket will need to be added to the backbone. All ACUs are packaged with a rotary rudder transducer. Should you desire to install a linear rudder reference to maximize autopilot performance, then it would a be recommended that a SeaStar (Teleflex) Smart Stick be used.
10-04-19, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-19 10:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck for the prompt and helpful response. I was actually a member of this forum years ago, but don't know what happened as my membership seemed to be dropped. I did order a HS5 RayNet Switch. The CAM220s will be mounted under the top to film fishing activity. The system will be installed by SeaVee which installed my last few Raymarine systems so I assume they will do it properly and tell me if I need any additional cabling or switches. I am very excited to see this system in action when my boat is finished.

I bought the other items you mention. Quick question, on the CAM220 cameras, I do plan to mount them under the hard top to film the fishing action. I understand they have a 93 degree field of vision. I assume there is no way to connect more than one camera to film at the same time so that I can increase the field of vision to 186 degrees. Can you suggest how I should position these Should I have both of the back with one filming aft and starboard and the other filming aft and port or should I simply center one in the back and one in the front? I also don’t mind buying two more if they somehow work together to increase the field of vision.
10-07-19, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-19 11:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mig888,

Q1. I was actually a member of this forum years ago, but don't know what happened as my membership seemed to be dropped.
A1. The membership was likely within Raymarine's prior forum. Unfortunately, memberships were not migrated to the current forum.

Q2. I assume there is no way to connect more than one camera to film at the same time so that I can increase the field of vision to 186 degrees.
A2. While it is possible to display create a two pane page in which each pane has been configured to run the Video app and then manually point the cameras to provide an apparent 180 degree view, only video from one of the CAMs will be recorded within the video file created (i.e. LH3 software presently does not support simultaneous recording of video from two different sources.

Q3. Can you suggest how I should position these Should I have both of the back with one filming aft and starboard and the other filming aft and port or should I simply center one in the back and one in the front?
A3. That's a subjective question You may want to consider trying a single aft facing camera and if found to not provide a sufficient field of view, then the second camera may be added. If electing to go with two after facing cameras, then they should be installed adjacent to one another on either side of centerline. Should you want to try it before installing the second aft facing camera, then you may want to ensure that the vessel is wired to accommodate the second aft facing camera.
11-07-19, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 08:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I ordered the card readers and the GA150 antenna to connect to the system. Quick question, if I have 2 Axiom XL displays, do I need 2 GA150 antennas or will one work?
11-08-19, 10:19 AM
Mig888,

Q. if I have 2 Axiom XL displays, do I need 2 GA150 antennas or will one work?
A. Networked MFDs are designed to share system data and resources. Accordingly and should a GA150 GPS Antenna be installed, then only one GA150 would need to be installed.
11-10-19, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-19 09:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you very much for the prompt response. One more question. I see that the Axiom XL requires a separate alarm to be attached if you want to hear alarms. What types of sounds and/or alarms will this enable you to hear? Do I need this to hear the alarm which indicates waypoint arrival?
11-12-19, 09:49 AM
Mig888,

Q1. I see that the Axiom XL requires a separate alarm to be attached if you want to hear alarms.
A1. This is an incorrect statement. The MFD features an internal alarm. Should one desire a louder alarm or to have alarms sounded at a remote location, then it would be recommended that the system include an A80614 SeaTalkNG Auxiliary Alarm Buzzer.

Q2. What types of sounds and/or alarms will this enable you to hear?
A2. A single alarm sound is used which is a simple repeating beep.

Q3. Do I need this to hear the alarm which indicates waypoint arrival?
A3. Waypoint Arrival alarms may be configured ON/OFF within the Alarm settings (HOME->ALARMS->SETTINGS->WAYPOINT ARRIVAL).
11-19-19, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-19 08:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck. This is very helpful
11-20-19, 08:37 AM
You're welcome.