Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Not understanding
11-11-19, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-19 12:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Not understanding
I purchased a new boat and am in process of installing the new electronics.
I bought the raymarine "boat in a box" which consists of an Axiom 12 RV, 9 RV , Ray 63 , HS5 switch and a multitude of conection cables and a stng 5 way connector.

First, I understand I need to run a stand alone power supply and fuse panel. For this I plan to use a blue seas panel. I also need to run a shield wire for those connections.

Here is where I'm lost.
What is the HS5 switch for? With what I have is it needed?

My instructions are vague, and the books that come with each unit only really show each unit as a stand alone system.

If Raymarine sells this as a system they should include wiring diagrams as a system.

Here is a link to what was purchased.

https://rm.factoryoutletstore.com/detail...mid=636009

This is a brand new boat with no pre existing equipment.
I may have misspoke when I said it was from Raymarine but so many stores carry this as a package.
As far as other equipment that will be added. As of right now it would only be a Quantum Radar.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-19, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-19 02:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Not understanding
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Wabowman,

The major components within this package (i.e. MFDs and VHF radio) were designed to be installed individually, as part of this boxed system, or as component of a larger system. As Raymarine documents are updated throughout the software development life of the product, detailed installation guides, as well as advanced operations guides, for Raymarine products are not typically packaged with products. Instead, the latest versions of these documents may be found here.

The following paragraphs describe how the equipment will be interfaced:

Ethernet network: Devices requiring higher bandwidth communications (ex. MFDs, radar transducer, fishfinder sounder modules, satellite weather receivers, thermal cameras, IP cameras, etc.) will communicate with each other via an Ethernet network. Accordingly, the MFDs should each be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via the supplied 2m RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cables. The HS5 RayNet Network Switch will be powered via the red/black striped power cable packaged with the HS5 RayNet Network Switch, which in turn will be connected to a switched 12VDC or 24VDC power circuit. Should a radome or open array radar utilizing a Quantum Data Cable or Digital Radar Cable be installed, then the radome or open array radar will communicate with the system via the system's Ethernet network. To do so, the Quantum Data Cable or Digital Radar Cable will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch.

SeaTalkng/ NMEA 2000 network: Devices requiring lower bandwidth communications (ex. instruments, GPS sensors, VHF radios, AIS receivers / transceivers, autopilots, etc.) will communicate with one another and the system's Data Master MFD via a SeaTalkng/ NMEA 2000 network. Accordingly, the required SeaTalkng networking components have been provided within this package to construct a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. In this case, a simple powered and properly terminated backbone will be constructed and the VHF radio and Data Master MFD (you will need to choose one of the MFDs to serve as the system's Data Master) will each be interfaced to as spurs to the backbone. As the MFD's NMEA 2000 interface features a DeviceNet (M) socket, the supplied DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (F) Adapter Cable will be used to connect the MFD's NMEA 2000 interface to a spur (white) socket within the backbone. The supplied Spur Cable (white/black) will be used to interface the VHF radio to a spur (white) socket within the backbone.

Power: The MFDs, VHF Radio, SeaTalkng backbone, and HS5 RayNet Network Switch will each need to be powered via the power cables supplied with these products. Please click [url=]here[/url] to view a FAQ addressing best practices for powering marine electronics.
11-15-19, 03:57 PM
Chuck, I just noticed you said the HS5 is on a switched power source. I did not see that in the instructions. Would that be the same for the NMA backbone? I have the MDF's and VHF on constant power.
11-15-19, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-19 04:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Wabowman,

Per the previously referenced FAQ addressing power circuits for marine electronics, it is recommended that all power circuits supplying power marine electronics be capable of being switched ON/OFF ... this can be done from a circuit panel. Products like the HS5 RayNet Network Switch do not feature a power switch. Accordingly, failure to power it from a switched power circuit may cause the battery(s) to be drained unless the battery switch is turn OFF each time you leave the boat. Within that FAQ, I recommended that the MFDs and HS5 Network Switch be powered from the same circuit. As this backbone is so small, and isn't presently powering any other devices, you may want to also consider powering it from the circuit supplying power to the MFDs. The FAQ also recommends that the VHF radio be powered from a dedicated circuit. On my own boat a relatively inexpensive breaker panel such as that which is shown is commonly used on smaller vessels. Also see the part of this same FAQ addressing the last power state memory feature of Raymarine products.